Car Running Hotter Then Usual After 320 Amp Alternator Install

KyleEBK

Jan 27, 2008
I just added a 320 amp alternator to my car last weekend. 84 svo mustang with a 92 ford 5.0 engine

It is a 1 wire alternator so it self excites and doesnt need to be plugged in like the previous alternator (was a ford 130 amp 3g alternator

it seems to be running hotter then it use too, it use to only run around the o in normal, now it gets up to the a in normal on the gauge

not sure why this would be i am going tot ry to change the thermostat and see if that helps, anyone else have any input?

the car now runs around 14.5 volts instead of the 14.0 it ran at with old alternator
CAM00253.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

wanted to add the pulley on the new alternator is 1.8 inches compared to i think 2.5 pulley on the stock ford 3g 130amp unit. not sure if that would make any dif in the cooling system, doubtful

not sure what actual temp is, running stock gauges, i jsut idled the car for 30 mins and drove it around for 20 and it stayed cool like normal but as soon as i strarted running the stereo loud it started heating up again. wonder if the alternator is just creating so much heat and the radiator hose directly over it that maybe it is heating the coolant. or heat the area around it enough to drive the temp sensor up. where is the temp sensor in these cars? as far as the weather its about 65 degrees here

No im not welding with it I dont even have my big amp in there yet,just running a 75x4 watt amp and a 600 watt amp for subs. the amp im gonna put in soon is 5000 watts

A weak grounding system with a high current alternator will make the temp gauge read hotter than normal.

Add a couple of extra 1/0 gauge grounds - engine block or alternator to body. The grounds need to contact clean, shiny metal - not paint or greasy metal. Put some Dow Corning DC-4 grease on the connections after you have them bolted down good and tight.

See Dow Corning 4 Electrical Insulating Compound White 150 g Tube

OR

Amazon product ASIN B000LEX8TAView: http://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Electrical-Insulating-Compound/dp/B000LEX8TA

for the DC 4.

Last edited: