Car running too cold..........?

94tang

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
East TN
My car takes forever to heat up and when it does the needle on the gage hardly ever reaches the "N".Even after prolonged idling with the e-fan unplugged.I let it warm up to the "N" one day and checked the coolant temp. with a thermometer and it read 160* so I dont think its the temp gage.I've replaced the T-stat twice and both times with Mr.Gasket stats.When the weather is warm it has no problem heating up............???

• Sponsors (?)

im guessing its semi cool down there in TN. just be happy its not overheating. my car used to do the same thing. right now in this 20* weather it wont go above the end of N but in summer its straight up and down. i remember asking this to some of my friends and thats pretty much the same answer i got :)

It might be the fact that you don't have the smog pump on there perhaps? Ever since I ripped mine off along with all the other smog stuff, it doesn't go past the 'N' either. Still runs just fine for me!

cb18201 said:
how does taking out your thermostat in the summer make your car run cooler, i dont get it.
i think the deal is, its always open....which keeps the coolant constantly flowing and in turn cooler....BUT ive heard this is really not a good way to do it because the coolant does not have the proper time to "soak" up the heat from the engine.....so reallyt your not running cooler the coolant is just cooler so it reads cooler

Anthony

I think its just the winter. My car never gets above the N unles I sit an idles for a long time. Sucks because on the highway I dont have heat because its so cold. Just be happy your not overheating. You'll like that your motor stays cool especially in the staging lanes at the track.

VIPERn94Five-0 said:
i think the deal is, its always open....which keeps the coolant constantly flowing and in turn cooler....BUT ive heard this is really not a good way to do it because the coolant does not have the proper time to "soak" up the heat from the engine.....so reallyt your not running cooler the coolant is just cooler so it reads cooler

What he said. When the thermostat is open, it doesn't allow the water inside the block to heat up. It is continually moving through the raditaor and back into the block.

Numbles said:
I think its just the winter. My car never gets above the N unles I sit an idles for a long time. Sucks because on the highway I dont have heat because its so cold. Just be happy your not overheating. You'll like that your motor stays cool especially in the staging lanes at the track.

yeah but it should run at 180* no matter what the air temp.......also it runs real warm in the summer......on the "R" or above in traffic,drops down to "O" on the highway.

viperos said:
what you need to do, is since it doesn't take long, put a 195 (stock thermo) back in there... I had a 160 in for summer time and racing, and it took like 20 min to heat up my car in the winter... so every 6 months, I switch out my thermo, 160 summer, and a 195 winter... cost about $6 and about 15 min

sounds like a good idea.....gonna be warming up soon in TN so I'll prob. wait till next winter to do it........thanks for the input everyone!

My car runs MUCH colder than in previous winters too. Sometimes it dips below the first line....NOT the second line (before the N). I recently added a gt40 intake, and much larger MAF plus I deleted my EGR. I think that the lack of the EGR is to blame.