Fuel Car running worse after gas fillup

AnthonyA1234

Aug 17, 2020
Florida
Recently purchased a 92 gt project car and Once I was able to get the car running I drove it to a mustang mod shop to get a misfire fixed and to get the car running well. I finally picked up the car today and it ran amazing until I stopped to get gas. After I filled it up the fuel pump now buzzes constantly. The car also jerks when cruising at low rpm around 2k. Also when letting out the clutch in 1st gear the car will jerk very aggressively if I don’t give it enough gas. My thinking is that the fuel tank is probably dirty and after I filled the tank completely (the first time I’ve done this since I got the car, it sat for 5 years before I got it running) the gas probably stirred up whatever crud was in the tank and clogged the filter. I plan on buying abs installing a new tank, pump, and fuel gauge sensor since I’m gonna be in there anyways. Do you guys think this could be it?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeh. Yes, and yes. Maybe get DryGas/Heet. I would get this stuff at Home Depot in the mower section called Mechanic In A Bottle. Worth a try, because for years guys are getting Foxbodies that have been sitting and putting gas in them and they do that.

Reactions: 1 user
All I know is if its rust that clogged the filter you better change the tank asap..

Rust is a micro abrasive and it can breakdown so small it can pass through the filter and do damage to your fuel injectors and also impregnate burnt rust onto the pistontops layering it on creating hotspots on top of the pistons...

One way to tell if its rust is to remove the fuel filter and let the debris flow out of the inlet side in a clean glass jar...the contaminants your working with will be evident..

Good Luck

Reactions: 1 users
Ok so I’ll do that then thanks guys. What pump should I go with? I’m thinking just the walboro 155lph. Car has a cobra intake, x303 cam, some sort of aftermarket head, full exhaust, cai, and the stock 19lvs injectors. Car makes 275 to the wheels. Will the 155lph be good?

So the car before I took it to the shop had light blue injectors which I can’t be 100% sure because I was never able to take them out myself but I believe they were 24#. However after I took the car to the shop they put the stock 19#. Are these injectors enough for my car and the mods and power it makes? Also if I get the 190lph pump does that pair with 19# injectors? And should I get a new maf that is calibrated to 19#?

So the car before I took it to the shop had light blue injectors which I can’t be 100% sure because I was never able to take them out myself but I believe they were 24#. However after I took the car to the shop they put the stock 19#. Are these injectors enough for my car and the mods and power it makes? Also if I get the 190lph pump does that pair with 19# injectors? And should I get a new maf that is calibrated to 19#?
Firstly,you need to verify what MAF sensor you have,that will dictate what injectors.

Like others have said, you need to verify your MAF calibration and injector setup. For an aluminum headed H/C/I setup like you have 24lbs injectors should be bare minimum with 30s being a better option. The 155 lph fuel pump will be fine.

The MAF is on the intake tube right after your airbox. If it's aftermarket it should be printed what #injectors it's for.
Ok so here’s some pics of my maf, the old light blue injectors and the new injectors. That maf looks stock so I think I’m good?

Attachments

• 18D7BE1F-8371-4DCE-BF7A-57CFCFB17DE6.jpeg
    18D7BE1F-8371-4DCE-BF7A-57CFCFB17DE6.jpeg
    550.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 2EC02144-753F-4C41-B0CD-AA5FF9FE5783.png
    2EC02144-753F-4C41-B0CD-AA5FF9FE5783.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • B2C6517A-31A9-48E4-8B44-445A36ECE36B.jpeg
    B2C6517A-31A9-48E4-8B44-445A36ECE36B.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 47