car runnning horrible after 73mm MAF install

• Sponsors (?)

drakesdad said:
what size injectors are you running? What was the new Maf set for?
Is the MAF placed where the electronics are at 12 o'clock....?

im running the stock 24# injectors. The MAF is designed for the 24# so I don't really understand what the problem is.

I'm gonna go check out what you mean by the 12:00 thing, someone else also mentioned that.

Ok, I believe your problem lies with the MAF you used, but not so much that there's anything wrong with it as much as what it's calibrated for. With a Cobra, you need to get a MAF for 19lb injectors even though you're running 24s. The GT and Cobra share the same MAF, but the Cobra has the calibration in the computer, not in the MAF.

I'm with Matt (though I think the MAS is a hair different from Cobras to GT's, or am I thinkin of foxes. I know it's true with foxes).

Anyhow, I'd see about a 19# sample tube or whatever it is that those things use and see if it fixes itself.

Good luck.

StangGT1995 said:
Ok, I believe your problem lies with the MAF you used, but not so much that there's anything wrong with it as much as what it's calibrated for. With a Cobra, you need to get a MAF for 19lb injectors even though you're running 24s. The GT and Cobra share the same MAF, but the Cobra has the calibration in the computer, not in the MAF.

that could be it. Thanks a lot.

DarkProphet said:
If you go to C&L's site and look up the sample tubes, it lists the same for the 19# injectors and a stock GT computer as a 24# injector and a stock COBRA computer..

Yes. But on the other hand, can i just keep this MAF (c&l for 24# injectors) and just put it on when I get the car tuned, and have the tuner set to computer to make it work? Or do i HAVE to get a MAF for 19# injectors.

HOneslty, for the mods and what the stock maf can handle there is no reason to ditch the factory maf at your current point.

1. its 70mm and can handle around 290-300rwhp before being maxed out and needing a new one.

2. It is factory and all the drivablity issues will or should not be there.

3. IF your going to get a tune anyway...look at a Lmaf/03cobra maf or a Pro-M (prof. mass air systems now or whatever) at least over the C&L. C&L makes good parts and mafs just not good mafs for the 94-95 needs.

greenstang1313 said:
Yes. But on the other hand, can i just keep this MAF (c&l for 24# injectors) and just put it on when I get the car tuned, and have the tuner set to computer to make it work? Or do i HAVE to get a MAF for 19# injectors.
You don't need a new MAF to change to the 19lb calibration, just a new sample tube.

IMHO, you have gotten good advice from several peeps here.

You have a maf that is reporting less airflow because it was setup for pcm values of 19's. That is the basis of the cheat method C&L uses to allow you to use 24's.

Less airflow for a larger size inj ... in a nutshell.

Since you got a pcm with 24lb values ... C&L's cheat method is all thrown off.

Your ratio is too fat ... plain & simple.

As was said above ... the stock maf would most likely do just fine.
however
the good thing about how C&L does their cheat method is .......... its a mechanical kinda thing. You use different sizes of tubes to sample the airflow.

As was said above ... you could get a sample tube that is for the Cobra and you should be in much better shape.

After all ... you already got the C&L ... spend a few more bux and give it a try.

Since we got so many noobs lately ...................

A little snippet of maf info.

With the typical combos you see on these boards up to around 265rwhp

The need for more fuel is WAY more of a concern
than
The need for a larger maf.

The oem maf is very capable of supporting more airflow than the 19's can feed.

It does it on the Cobra .......... does it not?

Since most don't have a way to talk to the pcm ................

The need for a larger maf is a must do kinda thing.
because
The larger inj's dictate the need for a matching caled maf

Just trying to show you see a maf changed out a lot of times
NOT
because it can't accurately report additional airflow
BUT
because a caled maf is necessary for the maf manufactures cheat method to work ... or at least ... have a chance to work :D

Makes no difference if it is the mechanical means used by C&L or the electronic method used by PMAS (ProM).

Going to an aftermarket maf that is caled for 19's is gonna mostly be a no gain or at the most ... tiny gain mod.

The most gain for your buck spent would be to do the maf upgrade when you step up your inj size.

Grady