car runs bad after installing new lifters and 1.7 rockers

Apr 28, 2003
i just got done installing the rockers and lifters, everything went good all the rockers tightened down to between 1/4 and 1/2 turn without any shims.

the problem is when i first start the car cold it idles perfectly and runs smooth, but as soon as it reaches operating temp it starts it miss and run like crap.and if i shut it off when it is at operating temp it wont start back up until it cools down competly. im thinking the timing could maybe be off, maybe when i put the dizzy back in it was exactly in the sam posistion as before, or maybe a sensor went bad

if anyone has had a similar problem before and can point me in the right direction i would appreciate any help i can get

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i dont know if it is the same problem as you have,but a friends stang was doing the same as you described and it ended up being a bad TPS. i dont know if it will cure yours or not but it is a thought

Did you make sure that you reconnected all the sensors that you may have unplugged. Does the check engine light come on? Did you check for codes? This sounds more like a sensor than a mechanical issue.

Mario

Check the timing! You cant just restab a dist and expect it to be spot on.

If your lifters are too tight, the motor will sound lazy. Too much lash wouldnt sound like you have described.

If it's running fine cold, but acting up as it warms up (and goes into closed loop I'm guessing) look something you left disconnected (ACT or ECT sensor), or ignition timing being off. PULL THE CODES.

You HAVE to reset the timing with a light - no way around it. Try 14 advanced BTDC.

thanks everyone, im sure the rockers are torqued down correctly because the car runs great until the temp gets to 180, and i checked and all of the sensors are hooked back up so im guessing its timing ill try to set it tommorrow after work