Car shakes very rough after starting

squares98

Aug 20, 2004
Orange,ca
If I dont run my car for a few days it will hesitate really bad and shake like an old muscle car for a minute. Then it will idle somewhat rough(almost a missing sound) for 5 minutes or so before smothing out to normal, i have 106k miles but it did it when i had 50k miles too. Its has never been a major issue I would just like to know if there is somthing I am overlooking.

50-55 degrees F

• Sponsors (?)

Ummm... i'm going to say motor mounts. If it rides rough and idles rough it is the motor mounts. I just had mine replaced and the car feels 10x stronger. You will feel a little hesitation from the engine when it is not seated correctly.

VDunn said:
Ummm... i'm going to say motor mounts. If it rides rough and idles rough it is the motor mounts. I just had mine replaced and the car feels 10x stronger. You will feel a little hesitation from the engine when it is not seated correctly.

Why would it be motor mounts if the engine runs smoothly once it warms up? I am sorry but that makes no sense.

I would recommend to replace your coolant temp sensor. I had the same problem and it cleared it right up.

squares98 said:
If I dont run my car for a few days it will hesitate really bad and shake like an old muscle car for a minute. Then it will idle somewhat rough(almost a missing sound) for 5 minutes or so before smothing out to normal, i have 106k miles but it did it when i had 50k miles too. Its has never been a major issue I would just like to know if there is somthing I am overlooking.

50-55 degrees F
This could be due to carbon deposits on the intake valves.This happens because the fuel soaks into the deposits untill they warm up enough to boil the fuel off the backs of the valves.A lot of stop and go driving causes this.Does the car start right up or does it take a few turn-overs to start?You could try a few doses of injector cleaner run thru the engine but a few hours of highway driving will work just as well.My Wife's minivan does the same thing every once in awhile and I just drive it to work for a couple of days and it clears right up.