Car shaking/vibrating and loss of power

ColdAudio

Jan 9, 2006
Hey, I just picked up this car and pulled the timing back from more than 30 (couldn't even be read!) down to 10 for now. I also did plugs/wires/oil/coolant etc etc beforehand. After pulling the timing back from a rediculous level to what it should be, while the car is cold it runs alright, but when it warms up (im assuming warm based on driving time, temp gauge doesn't work), the car vibrates a whole bunch, has a huge power loss, and sounds alot choppier. In addition, I hear a slight ticking coming out of the exhaust. Ideas/suggestions? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

jammer84_03 said:
you might be a tooth off on the dist. that might be why it was at 30....do a double check on the rotor

Hmm... I was thinking it would have to do with timing being off somewhere... the car wouldn't be able to run at higher than 30* without blowing up right away

jammer84_03 said:
err...excuse me...the pointer might be off...

the dist wouldnt be the problem....wow i feel dumb...where is a owned sign...someone hang one for me

Send that pointer my way because I'm the newbie here .... pointer?
And any other ideas/things I should check?

jammer84_03 said:
also....was it vibrating before you did the retard on the timing, or was it before?

it started vibrating after i retard timing, before when it was higher than the crank pulley could read it ran great and strong and didn't tick/ping at all... but id rather do things the right way

Make sure the outer ring on the harmonic damper did not slide. The timing marks are etched into that outer ring, so if it slides, your timing light will make you think your timing is off, when in fact it is the references you are using that are off.

I have a hard time believing that a car can run on 30* SPOUT out timing. :)

hmmm it seems that this problem went away with the car cold this morning, came back when warm, but didn't happen when warm tonight. i'm leaning more towards MAS/o2 sensor issue, thoughts?

Dont feel bad I had 65 degrees of timing, just put a new balancer on last night and it had alot better throttle response, and i mathced up the two and my old one had slipped about 30 degrees......still need to get a light on mine to see if it fixed my timgin problem...I realy hope so

i also agree that i doubt the car would even run on greater than 30*.... im glad to hear that replacing your balancer fixed your problem, i was going to roll the motor to TDC tonight to check it/change in the morning but of course the day im free is the day it rains!

Search in here - you will find a lot of threads about it. There are slight differences in how people like to do things, so you can form your own opinion.

Good luck.

ColdAudio said:
any write ups on how to replace the balancer? ive never done on before

This should give u an idea... I took out my stock fan and shroud (obviously belt too), Loosen the balancer bolt, I just had to put it in reverse and ebrake up and it was good enough, Take out the 4 bolts that hold on the pulley which then comes right off, then take out the balancer bolt, put on the balancer puller, replace the front seal if needed, lube the seal and shaft of the balancer with some oil and when u install the balancer make sure the lip of the seal is fully seated on the balancer, youll know what i mean when u see it. and reverse the procedure to install. And in order to tighten the balancer bolt tight have a friend press the brake so the motor doesnt turn. :nice:

87stangdiddle said:
This should give u an idea... I took out my stock fan and shroud (obviously belt too), Loosen the balancer bolt, I just had to put it in reverse and ebrake up and it was good enough, Take out the 4 bolts that hold on the pulley which then comes right off, then take out the balancer bolt, put on the balancer puller, replace the front seal if needed, lube the seal and shaft of the balancer with some oil and when u install the balancer make sure the lip of the seal is fully seated on the balancer, youll know what i mean when u see it. and reverse the procedure to install. And in order to tighten the balancer bolt tight have a friend press the brake so the motor doesnt turn. :nice:

Thanks! :)