Car shuts off with air on

1Slow90coupe

Oct 18, 2005
I returned home last week after my deployment, and have drove my car twice since then. Yesterday I was preparing to turn into my subdivision and the damn thing just shut off. It started right back up, and I drove around some more to see WTF. It only does it when the AC is on, deceleration, braking. Any help? Ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

there is also a idle control sensor for the air conditioning. its connected to the top of the air conditioning resevior thing on the passengerside firewell. when you turn on the air at lower RPMS or idle it kicks the engine speed up a little so the car doesnt die with the extra strain being put on the engine.

this could be the problem. i had to replace mine recently when i got my air conditioning fixed and working properly.

genericstang said:
there is also a idle control sensor for the air conditioning. its connected to the top of the air conditioning resevior thing on the passengerside firewell. when you turn on the air at lower RPMS or idle it kicks the engine speed up a little so the car doesnt die with the extra strain being put on the engine.

this could be the problem. i had to replace mine recently when i got my air conditioning fixed and working properly.
That is incorrect. You have identifed the low pressure cutout switch. It's purpose is to shut off the compressor if the refirgerant charge gets too low. This protects the compressor from not having enough circulating oil to properly lubricate it..

U2SLO450 said:
Don't turn the air on !

Funny, Funny,

I did a head gasket swap before being deployed. During the reassembly I cleaned everything very well, and replaced every gasket. I am going to review the surging idle checklist. Any help is always appreciated.

after reviewing the checklist I believe that I have my idle set incorrectly. I have moved around the mechanical adjustment and never disconnected the IAC in the process. Any tips on the correct way to set it?