Car sorta sputters when engine is cold? Coil?

moneypit94

May 23, 2003
Macomb, IL
Well lately i notice that my car sorta sputters and backfires when i first take it out (this is at lower rpms usually).. Why is this? As soon as the engine is at operating temp it is flawless... Im sorta wondering if it is an ignition problem but with most ignition problems it gets worse with heat and not better like this.

I had this happen once before and i replaced my MSD coil with another one and it was all good after that. But now its doing it again.. Also my msd box will quit working sometimes for no reason... I bypass it real quick and the car starts right back up.. (happens rarely)

But while i had the msd box off it still sputtered and backfired when it was cold... So that sorta takes that out of the picture. My wires and plugs are fairy new too along with the rotor and cap.

I just ordered a universal Fireball coil... (10$ rebate on them right now) I know this is bad but i went off the picture and it looks like it will hook right up with my stock connectors. Anybody else use it?

I talked to the tech at msd and tested my box and it works... So im not really sure whats going on? Any Ideas and thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

This is a common problem that ive also experienced with my car. It has to do with the car coming out of closed loop mode in the computer. The computer pulls timing when its cold but brings it back up to spec when its warm. Its nothing big, just wait until the car heats up, thats what I do. Plus the timing retard keeps me from beating on the car when its cold.

BTW, hows the car doin other then that, you havent posted in a while.

please for the sake of yoru car, let it warm up

my roomates and I start it up come back inside and then go hop in them. we all have cams on 110-112 lsa

the neighbors love us

if we dont do this, the car will not want to drive below 2K. its your oil and motor that is too cold.

my roomates and I start it up come back inside and then go hop in them.

I wish I could do that. If anyone tried that in Tucson, the car wouldn't be there when you got back.

I had a problem with mine doing that, a new ECT sensor fixed it. The car shouldn't be bogging like that even when it's cold, the computer should compensate for it unless you had some crazy mods, like a different cam, in which case, the computer has no idea what's going on. I've had an MSD coil go bad in the past as well. The center comes unglued and it shakes around screwing things up.

Numbles said:
This is a common problem that ive also experienced with my car. It has to do with the car coming out of closed loop mode in the computer. The computer pulls timing when its cold but brings it back up to spec when its warm. Its nothing big, just wait until the car heats up, thats what I do. Plus the timing retard keeps me from beating on the car when its cold.

BTW, hows the car doin other then that, you havent posted in a while.
you learn something new everyday, i had the same problem this morning.

There was a post about this a while ago and I forgot who knew that info but it seemd to roll the timing back up when the rpm's get above 2k so just take it easy and wait for the motor to warm up.

If i don't let it warm up i take it easy on it till i see that its at the normal operating temperature. I understand that the fact about the oil and stuff not being warmed up...

This problem just seems to be slightly getting worse and worse... I guess i will just have to see if this new coil fixes the problem again...

Numbles: besides this small problem, the car seems to be strong as ever... I can't wait till the track opens back up... Im looking for some mid to low 11's this year... Maybe even some real low 11's with slicks... I love driving it too school everyday.. Sorta funny... I haven't had any ricers try to mess with me yet... Can't wait till they do.. If they can take me i will be seriously impressed even with an import (especially where i live, hickville)

after my manifold install the car did this HORRIBLY!!...if the car was not into the NORMAL sweep it would sputter, and backfire and want to die....once it got above like 1700 or so it would be fine....i redid my timing....fixed my problem....

Anthony

Well for instance tonight i noticed it a little when the car was warmed up... So something isn't quite right (keeps on getting worse and worse) I think my new coil will be here friday so i will just have to wait and see if thats the problem..

my red one did the same thing when it was cold. just let it warm up, and watch the revs die down a bit to normal idle, and it would be fine.

OT: i've been meaning to ask, what stroker kit u using? what company? or did u buy all the parts sepperately. and what compression.

ProKiller said:
my red one did the same thing when it was cold. just let it warm up, and watch the revs die down a bit to normal idle, and it would be fine.

OT: i've been meaning to ask, what stroker kit u using? what company? or did u buy all the parts sepperately. and what compression.
I just bought all the parts piece by piece... Used Scat crank and rods and probe pistons on it... Everything went together with the exact clearence.. Kinda nice for a change having things go as they should.

Compression is about around 9.7:1 I know thats a little high but i originally wasn't going to put a blower on it... If i could go back i would deffenetly go with 8.5:1 and push more boost at it. But with a good tune it turned out good... I just don't think i can add much more boost on pump gas... :notnice: Im really trying to get another 20 hp out of it and i will be totally satisified.. for now.

Ive heard the ECT can fix this problem if you clean it or replace it. I think its like $40 at the ford dealer if I remember correctly.

Its one of the senors connented into the airbox. I forget which one.