Car sputtering and popping after wash

JLstang351

Founding Member
Jun 26, 2001
atl,ga
After I got done washing my car off,I also washed the motor off a little..Went down the road and it drives like a$s. It feels like a car does when the timing is off! I mean I know It isnt the timing,but I have know idea what it is. I blowed out the coil packs(car is 98gt). Blowed out the mass air meter and all around the whole motor w/ compressed air. Im stumped!!Went back for a ride it was perfect for about 3 miles and then it came back. could it be something else.Gas or something like that??

• Sponsors (?)

Ok its been 2 days now and still popps really bad.Especially when its the motor is cold. It sounds maybe like i fouled out a plug,but I dont see how that would happen!? I am about to go check them anyways. What about the injectors,could water maybe of gotten in there and messed it up?

sounds like water got in a coil pack or plug. Was the engine hot when you sprayed it down? If the engine was warm when cleaning it, you should have started ther car and let it idle when spraying down. I had that problem before too. since then, i either wash it when it is completely cold or when it's running.

You may also want to check for faulty spark plug wire...

I don't know what year your car is but, my friend has a mustang with a distributor and water got into that and on his rotor. It made the car run really bad, until we found the problem and dried off all the water. Hope that might help if you've got a 95 or older.

yeah

I had the same problem.. this is what I did.. I warmed the engine up.. then I ran it hard for a while up and down the street.. this was on a hot day.. then I let the car sit with the hood open.. 2 days of this and it dried up..

Mine does it to, found the problem to be water in spark plug tubes, remove the plug wire off the plugs and blow the tubes out then blow the wire ends off, should take care of your problem, also add alittle dielectric grease to plug boots to help seal them from any more water intrusion
:nice:

I also checked the plugs out. Well factory gap size is .00052 and well mine was .00077 so yea I would say its time for some new plugs! When i change them I will spray out the tubes. Thanks for all the help!

JLstang351 said:
I also checked the plugs out. Well factory gap size is .00052 and well mine was .00077 so yea I would say its time for some new plugs! When i change them I will spray out the tubes. Thanks for all the help!

its .052 or .077.... just lettin ya know.

a sheet of paper is .003 thick, so you cant really have a plug be gapped narrower than that.