Car Still runs like complete ****!!

Guero

Oct 11, 2005
Well the smiley is sarcasm!! Anyways. """SOMETIMES""" the car runs ok, but only under 2k rpms. It feels like it struggles for power. And other times seems to be ok, but never under WOT. WOT runs like it has no balls, runs like a 4cylinder thats only running on 2 cylinder with a broken spark plug!! Im really trying my hardest not to go buy a gallon of gas and light this POS!!! Were do I start? what do I look for???Can I be 180* of and able to start the car???

Timing is on 10*, Yes I took out the spout and plugged it back in with the ignition of. Balancer in brand new and SFI rated. TFI is also new. Brand new MSD Distributer

Sadly I did shed a few tears in anger cuz of this!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Grady--- I misunderstood what you wrote.....on my other thread.....Can I be 180* of but still be a 10* on the balancer and able to start the car? And let alone drive the damn thing

This has nothing to do with the tuning I think. As I was happy before and actually had balls. It will be tuned by somewhat that knows what their doing. But Im keeping the tweecer as they will use it, and I can still have 4 settings to choose from

I can see Paul's point (Guero, his sentiments are because we hate to see you fight with your car so often). We also know that you enjoy constantly tinkering with it so it probably doesnt bother you (I wish I had your patience. Seriously. By now I'd have lit the thing on fire - except I'd be sitting in the drivers seat when I lit it :rlaugh: ).

I dont know about your combo but with a stockish stang, you can indeed be 180* out and the car will run [albeit like fat kids in a sack race].

My take: Dont even worry about or consider the 10* part on the balancer. It's fine that you're spinning it to 10* but in the grand scheme of things it doesnt matter right now. It would be like if your TPS was acting all screwed up at part throttle and you were worried that it was reading 0.94 instead of 0.98 volts at idle (who cares).

Good luck!
And remember, go slow and you'll figure it out. After you're hisPANIC, you're the MexICAN. :nice:

Grady--- I misunderstood what you wrote.....on my other thread.....Can I be 180* of but still be a 10* on the balancer and able to start the car? And let alone drive the damn thing

Yes Sir :D

Just as JT said ... It could be 180 out and still fire up but not run like it should

You said it was running fine before you took the dizzy out in the other thread
so
Its got to be something to do with that

When putting the dizzy back ... the 10 degrees don't matter ...........
Just focus on the tdc mark to get it stabbed correctly and time it later

Here is the steps I'd do to get it back like it was

1) I'd just position the cap where the wires are relaxed and as close to the
original position as you can guess.

2) Line the tdc mark up ... Use the end of the pointer to line it up

3) Install the dizzy where the rotor lines up with the #1 wire

4) See if it fires up and revs up nice and smooth

5) if #4 is good to go ... time it at 10 and your done

however

If #4 is not good to go and it fires but not revs up nice and smooth
or
fires up but has a bit of a hard time starting and revs up rough
or
anything along those lines ... your 180 out
or ... to put it another way
You're trying to fire on the exhaust stroke as opposed to compression stroke

Sooooo ... to make the spark fire on the compression stroke

Do the following steps

a) You make note of the position the rotor is pointing

b) Take the dizzy out ... DO NOT move the motor at this time

c) Put the dizzy back with the rotor pointing the EXACT opposite direction
or
Pointing 180 degrees different from when it was running like poo poo.

d) Fire it up and it should rev up smoothly

e) Time it to 10

Now ... Here is a little tip to keep this from happening again :D

When you get it all back together and it is running correctly

Line the hb to tdc making sure the rotor is pointing to #1
Make a scribe mark across the dizzy base and the block
Make a mark with a Marks a Lot on the inside of the dizsy housing
that lines up with the rotor

Next time you take the dizzy out ...............
All you gotta do is line up the two marks to get it back like it was ;)

Grady

I did a log and saw that when it runs like **** the spark is on 10 degrres and asd soon as i let the gas go it goes but up and down. I dont know if its normal, or if it means my dizzy is of. But it runs like crap when it it stays on 10 degrees. Car is pulling timing

make sure all your plug wires are right

351Firing.jpg

Another thing...When I let of the gas after punching it and as it goes down to idel the timing is between 30-40 degrees...Is that normal sounds like alot to me....