Car towing??

asecretfile

Feb 11, 2007
87 Mustang GT 5 speed

Will it hurt anything if I tow the car with the front on the tow dolly with the car in neutral?

Going to be towed about 15 miles

My front end sits pretty low and will scrape just about anything if I raise the back of it onto the dolly

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Like 91 said I would disconnect the driveshaft anyway. I have heard people say it was fine with a 5 speed and others say that it was still a :nono: even with a manual. Its not hard to disconnect the DS and its cheap insurance just in case.

You shouldn't because the T-5 wasn't meant to be driven with only the mainshaft turning and the countershaft stationary.

The countershaft is what moves fluid around and basically lubes the top bearings through splash lubrication.

SInce it won't be moving without the engine running, you could very well starve some bearings of fluid...esp the input shaft to mainshaft roller bearings. If this happens you could gall the maintshaft and end up with a noisy t-5.

Thats what would happen in theory. Has it every really happened? Who knows. Some guys have done it with no probs, but the potential risk of what i just said is still there

I have always wondered that myself. I see motor homes all the time pulling cars or Jeeps behind them and thought that cant be good. A friend just bought an 02 Jeep Wrangler with 310,000 miles on it. 20,000 of which the Jeep was running (was his Grandfathers), the rest of the time it was being towed. I helped him install new shocks and fuel pump and ignition coil, other then that the only thing his Grandfather ever replaced was tires and oil, nothing else. Jeep shifts and drives great.
Are the transmissions internal operations different on a Jeep? Does it pump fluid when in neutral?

well, towed it in neutral with no problems. not saying it was ideal but I did however in addition to having it in neutral, I used a piece of wood to hold down the clutch pedal. Not sure if that helped or hurt but did it anyways :shrug:

For only 15 miles, you should be alright. But if it was like 100 plus miles, then I would disconnect the drive shaft. My teacher told me a story of a guy who was towing his truck from the south up north somewhere and the tranny seized about 400 miles into..

I have always wondered that myself. I see motor homes all the time pulling cars or Jeeps behind them and thought that cant be good. A friend just bought an 02 Jeep Wrangler with 310,000 miles on it. 20,000 of which the Jeep was running (was his Grandfathers), the rest of the time it was being towed. I helped him install new shocks and fuel pump and ignition coil, other then that the only thing his Grandfather ever replaced was tires and oil, nothing else. Jeep shifts and drives great.
Are the transmissions internal operations different on a Jeep? Does it pump fluid when in neutral?

I was researching flat towing a Geo Tracker which would be similar to the Jeep, it was recommended to put the Transfer Case in Neutral but the Tranny in 2nd Gear, I guess it pumps fluid around that way.