Car Trailer (For Trailering Your Mustang!)

89MustangGX

I have nothing productive to add!
Jul 3, 2001
Mill Creek, WA
I've been looking around for a trailer for my Mustang (or any car for that matter), and I'm looking for some advice. I've looked at used trailers and new trailers, and I'm looking to do something soon, so hopefully someone will have some input.

What I'm looking for is your basic open car hauler, open deck is a must. Needs to be around 16 foot, though 18 foot might be nicer. Looking for around 7000-7500 pound rating. Standard 2" or 2 5/6" ball, no gooseneck stuff. This is for towing behind my 90 F150 4x4. I have to add the wiring for the electric brakes and big connector, so 6 pin or 7 pin doesn't matter.

I've been looking used and new and prices seem to be all over the place. I did stumble upon one brand Econo-Trailer (sounds cheap I know!), but they seem to have trailers starting around $1599 brand new, which seems cheap. Any experience with them? How about other companies or best place to buy? Anything at all is greatly appreciated -- I'll even take advice on life!

Thanks! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

might try and go to some auctions ive seen and bought trailers before dirt cheap. ive never heard of that company but if i were you i would just look it over really well and go on from there if your impressed on what you see then go for it.

I always like to get a deal, and I don't mind needing a little TLC, but I don't want to end up with a real piece. I want something that I can hook up and go across the country, and know it will make it.

I would try uhaul. If you check there website sometimes they have there equiptment for sale (ie..car transporters). I've towed a few mustangs on that trailer before and really worked well. It was a 4 pin hookup w/ a 2" ball. The trailer had surge brakes (the best brakes for a trailer) so there was no need for a brake controller. Just something to consider but there not always easy to come by.

I've rented from Uhaul before, and they do sell some old trucks, but no trailers. Besides, I really disliked the trailer. It was VERY heavy, I seem to recal about 2300 pounds (or something similar), fairly short, and I didn't like the surge brakes -- I had no control over them which I didn't really care for.

I think the electric brakes will be a welcome change, as well as the less weight and additional space on the trailer if I need it.

More info? I KNOW there are tons of trailers floating around here!

When I was looking at trailers, I saw them all over the place here in florida for around $1600 new for a 16' ... Have you considered an aluminum trailer? You'll get the advantages of weight savings and it won't rust :) I think the biggest thing you should look at would be the quality of the trailer itself. Compare it with others looking at items like type of loading ramps, size and thickness of steel used, quality of welds, type of axles, wheel size and tire weight capacity... hope that helps... Larry

well guys i have been looking at trailers too, and i am looking at a 20 foot one i mean i want to be able to put almost anything on this trailer. but when looking at a trailer you got to just think what are you going to us it for most of the time personally a 16 and 18 are to small for my liking and a 20 will be just about right. here are the specs on the trailer i just had priced for me and the cost was right at 2700 dollars

specs
80 inchs wide by 20 feet long
wood flooring (so you dont have to keep repainting it every year)
twin axles
axle breaks
full split ramp attached tp back of trailer instead of removable ramps
2 inch ball
2 foot dove tall
5000 pound capacity

but that is what kind of trailer i am getting because you got to think of other stuff you take with you that the trailer can be used to take stuff to the track on

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at one of the Econo-Trailer models now, it's 18 feet long, the usual width and height, etc. It has the standard 7000 pound weight rating. All diamond plated, but still lightweight (only about 1500 pounds). Tandem axles with brakes on both. All LED lights. Pen deck. Has a dovetail with slide-in five foot ramps. It uses a 2 5/16" ball. I dunno what else ... but it's $1784 (or close) from the factory, and I can drive the 6 hours and go pick it up. It's sounding like a pretty good deal.