car wont shut off

urban96

bubb rubb says:"woo woooooo"
Founding Member
Sep 24, 2002
Syracuse, NY
so tonight i go to start my car and it sorta gets stuck in the "start" position (when the starter engauges and turns the motor over) i dont think much of it and just click the key back manually. well i get home and go to shut the car off and the key just spins freely in there and pulls out without shutting off the motor :shrug:

i pulled the tumbler out and tried to turn the little thing back with a screw driver and no dice motor and radio are still on. I ended up putting it in 4th and slowly letting the clutch out to stall it then i disconnected the battery

wtf did i break? how do i go about fixing this? where do i even get the parts

• Sponsors (?)

Go pick up a new tumbler, mine did something similar, but I could not turn the car on. The tumbler could spin 360 degrees and nothing would happen. Put a new one in and it works like a charm. they are rather cheap even from the dealer.

I hate to tell you this, but you will (likely) need to replace the column. There's a plastic rod like piece that ties the two sections of the ignition slider together. It is like a knuckle so when you tilt the steering wheel it stays connected. MIne did the same thing and after taking the column out I discovered that plastic piece was broken so the two halves were no longer connected.

It may be replaceable, but I had an extra column around so I just replaced the whole thing. Wasn't hard at all, took about 30 minutes.

Urban, what you can do in the mean time is drop your ignition switch and turn the car on and off with that. You can find it bolted to the bottom side of your column.

If you are talking about using a screwdriver in the slot that's all the way in there AFTER taking the lock cylinder out, then what I described above IS your problem.

fianlly had time to mess with it today

theres two little plastic pieces that slide front to back depending on key position. these connect the ignition tumbler where the key goes to the actuall ignition switch. the little pin that holds the two pieces together on mine somehow came out. i put it back in and hopefully itll stay in now