car wont start. sometimes cranks sometimes doesnt

buff531

Founding Member
May 11, 2000
Hanover Park, IL
Hey guys... im stumped here...

This girl im seeing has an 06 Jeep Wrangler... its a stick shift. Yesterday and today the car has been acting up. She pushes the clutch in and tries to start it... the car cranks but doesnt kick over. So she stops and tries again (with the clutch in still)... Now the car doesnt even turn over.... After a few choice words lol she tries a couple more times... gets the car to crank over and she slowly lets off the clutch and then the car starts...

Any idea what the issue could be? im stumped!

• Sponsors (?)

well a lil update. she brought the car over and when you push the clutch all the way in, it didnt turn over but if you lifted your foot about a 1/4" it would start. So i talked to a mechanic and he said it is something similar to a neutral safety switch on an automatic which it allows the car to only start in park or neutral. So i found this "switch" which is connected to the clutch and its loose. Meaning it can move in and out about a half inch. Is this thing supposed to be secured in place? cause when i pushed it all the way in... she tried to start it and it was fine... but my guess is it shifted slightly and when she tried it again, it did what it was doing before.

Thanks