car wont start

Chetly

Aug 6, 2003
I bought a project car. Im trying to start it up. When i turn the key nothing happens. Headlights are bright and all lights work. The only light on the dash that illuminates is teh emergency brake light. The car is an 85. I arched the starter selenoid, and the engine cranked. I then replaced the starter selenoid. The car still wont start. It doesnt make any noise at all. Nothing happens. I took the old selenoid back on and arched it and nothing happened. Any thoughts of what it could be. Im taking the starter to be tested tomorrow. Any clues on what it could be. Mabey the ignition switch? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Chetly said:
I bought a project car. Im trying to start it up. When i turn the key nothing happens. Headlights are bright and all lights work. The only light on the dash that illuminates is teh emergency brake light. The car is an 85. I arched the starter selenoid, and the engine cranked. I then replaced the starter selenoid. The car still wont start. It doesnt make any noise at all. Nothing happens. I took the old selenoid back on and arched it and nothing happened. Any thoughts of what it could be. Im taking the starter to be tested tomorrow. Any clues on what it could be. Mabey the ignition switch? Thanks
put a test light on the little stud on the top of the solenoid. when in the crank position, it should read 12 volts. im sure you are not getting that. you can check things up stream of that (clutch switch/neutral switch, etc), but since you say no lights come on (sans brake light), i would highly recommend looking at the EEC relay. on one car, this is the tell tale (i cant remember if it is for the camaro or stang). takes two seconds to check.
you can pop the column covers off and check for proper continuity at all wires, and the listed switches.
good luck.