Car Wont Start

UmmYeahOk

Feb 23, 2003
Dallas
Ok, I have a 1994 v6 mustang, and today the car would not start. I do not believe the battery is dead, as that would sound different, plus all the radio and lights work. When the battery is dead it sounds like it is trying to start, but cant. And if the engine is too cold, it gives off that same sound unless you give it some gas and it catches.

However, this sound is completely different. When I turn the key, rather than produce that sound, it starts clicking loudly. Like about 5 ticks per second. These clicks dont stop untill I get scared and turn the key the other way. Giving it gas while turning the key, and the sound remains the same. It almosts sounds like a toy machine gun. Did I run over a punk kid and hes clogging my engine, or what? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know. It definately doesnt sound like a normal engine start thats for sure. The noise too quick to decifer. Um, you turn the key, and theres like 8 ticks per second, after that second goes, it slows down to like 5 ticks per second, but still, very fast.

It sounds like the battery, you may need a jump start. Those fast clicking noises I'm assuming from your description is the starter trying to turn the flywheel but doesn't have enough juice to turn over.

I would try getting a boost, if that works then it is time for a new battery. A battery should be replaced every five years or so, when did you last replace yours??

Ewe, I dunno. I recall in 1999 or 2000 the battery died. Made its normal noise (not this noise) jumpstarted it, and one day went to Sears. They said nothing was wrong, but we replaced it anyway. A couple months ago the battery was dead, and we discovered the battery needed water. This was a BIG shocker to me. I had no clue of such things. Infact I thought it was nonsense when I heard. But aparently the battery was completely dry.

The battery gauge showed its normal reading. Infact, when I turn the key halfway, and just run the battery, everything works fine, radio, everything. Theres not even that scary clicking noise. It may be the battery, but only involves it operating the engine. The battery says Interstate on it and also "60 months" on the sticker. Guess that would make it 5 years, almost the same amount of time I've owned the car.

I took the flace plate off my radio thinking it would lessen the need for power, still no help. I called my dad, and he thinks the connectors need to be cleaned, and/or tightened harder. I'm going to do that right now, though I still cant see how everything else works if thats truly the problem.

K, the connectors had a crap load of blue chalk growing arround em, so I cleaned em. But no good, same response. Plus, when I reconnected the battery, my CD changer kept loading its magzine, again and again, reload and reload. So I popped open the trunk to take out the magazine as a way to stop power there as well as stop the madness, but as I was doing that my trunk started talking to me. It said "pop pop pop pop pop" like it was trying to open itself while it was currently open.

It may not be completely dead. You can still run power to other things it just may not have enough to crank the motor over. This happened to me this winter with my car, I would turn the key and all the power came on but I got the clicking noise your describing when it was colder than hell here. Now that it is getting warmer the car starts like a charm. It may be close to drained, I would try to replace it as well. I bet that would solve your problem. Cleaning the connectors would be a good idea, but if the battery is drained cleaner connectors won't recharge it. Just get a boost and dirve the car for a 1/2 hour or so to recharge your battery, till you can get a new one.

I already said I cleaned the connectors, and it didnt fix it. We jumpstarted it tonight and left it running for half an hour before turning it off. We'll see what happens in the morning. Oh, and plus, you're in Alberta, Im in Texas... The highs today were in the 60s. I know mornings are way colder, but compared to Canada, brrr. So I dont think that was it. Its quite possible I do need a new battery whether it was 1999 or 2000 when I got this one, its about that time.

I was just saying mine was due to cold weather, and that is why my battery died. The behaviour of your car was the same as mine when it was cold, so I was assuming your battery was dead but i realize it had its day on your car. anyways hopefully it will start in the am for you and if not time to buy a new battery.

Hey it starting to become spring hear finally getting ready to run on the track in may. It's a balmy 1 degree celcius here which I think is like 30 degrees or so Farenheit?? Anyways the snow is finally melting, I wish I lived in texas. :(

If you can't get it started on its own, then it may be time to replace the battery. For the last ten years, I've never had a battery that needs to be topped off. This time, spend the $70 on a decent battery, and when you do, rechack all your battery connections as well as the alternator's. You may want to make sure that the alternator is doing its job and get it checked out just to make sure it isn't dying on you.

If the altrnator starts to go while you're out driving, you're gonna be hating life when it happens, as you won't even have time to find a parking lot to pull over into. So you might as well get the alt. checked as well.

That happened to me, a dead battery, and it just wouldn't turn over after I came out after a 1/2 hour appointment.

Clickety clickety click click click.
Click Click Click....
Click.....

AAA to the resuce!

That was exactly the month that the car hit its fifth birthday.

No if ands or buts, it is definitely the battery. When it makes that clicking sound the started does not have enough enough juice to turn it over. Trust me. Now that may not be the only problem, that is why the car wont start. How old is the battery and what brand is it? The battery may be old and weak, or there might be something wrong with your alternator. I had the same problem in my old 94 t-bird and i thought it was just an old weak battery so i bought a new one and everything was find for about a day. Then the next afternoon i came out of work and my battery was dead. But once i jump started it, it would start right up. Long story short, the alternator was the source of the evil (it was only about 2 years old, damn STS auto service). The alternator was not producing enough current to charge the battery and run the engine, so the battery was taking up the slack of the alternator, which killed the battery... Ok now i'm just rambling i think. Just recharge the battery take it to pep boys or autozone, get it tested along with the rest of your charging system.

The car started up this morning, however, very stubbornly. No more clicky noises. Back to the usual engine start up sound. It sounded like it was trying, so I gave it gas, but wasnt enough. So I tried it a second time, and it started. I drove it half an hour away to my university. Hopefully it will start back up again after being parked for 3 hours. The battery is a 60month Interstate battery. So I'm just going to replace it anyway, hopefully today. I dont think its the alternator due to the age of the battery, but with a new one in, we'll see what works and what doesnt.