carb and cam advise for 351w

50ceptor

May 23, 2003
Sumerduck VA
hey guys its been about a year since my last post and i got a new toy. i just built a 351w bored to a 357 it has 10.5:1 forged pistons stock rods and crank 1.6 roller rockers
the cam i chose is a crane solid lifter 597. lift at 112* lobe seperation and i cannot at thsi time recall the duration but anyway. i putit all together and it has no balls at low end and it acts like its running outa fuel on the top end athough the FPR says 7psi
i will probably spray a 150 shot on it occasionaly at the track but i want to be able to cruise it on the weekends and will be installing a 4:10 to 4:30 gear.the tranny is a art carr aod with an 8in converter set to stall at 3000

does anyone have any idea what cam i should be looking at also i am running a 780 carb with mech. secondaries that i want to replace with demon any suggestion would help thanks guys. i am looking for 450 at the wheels when i am done without spraying.

• Sponsors (?)

i have the stock 71 heads ported and polished. i was thinking the same thing about the cam but i am going to install some 185s or 205s and a 393 stroker crank in it this time before it goes back in the car. i really didnt rev the car much maybe to about 5k be cause i just put it back together. but its hould have felt way better than that. this is my first 351 build so i am kinda going blind. any advice would help.

yeah i was thinking a 750, as far as timing goes i have a full msd ignition on it. i run a 6a with a blaster coil and an msd dist w/ mech advance and 9mm wires timing set at 18*

on a side note while my engine is out i was thinkin of going with a 393 stroker crank. what stroke is this crank and other than clearencing the block for the rod bolts is there any other machining required?

3.850, thanks does anyone know anything about the machining involved. i plan on using my existing forged pistons and rods. also should i spend the extra cash on the forged crank? i plan on around 450rwhp n/a and an occasional 100-150 shot. or will it be overkill

go with the 750 carb. that is a lot of cam. low end torque will suffer. 450 rwhp is a lot but atainable. thats more i think then i make at the wheels with my spray. afr 205 will work very nicely with a stroked 351w. the afr guys say they are a little big for the 351w non stroked but shouldn't hurt performance .

so def the 750 then, and 205s? should i go with the 393 stroker to reach my 450 goal? if i swap cams what do you suggest? the track i run at is a 1/8 mile so i kinda want that low wnd tourqe back. i am also running a torker2 intake due to clearence issues but i plan on hoggin it out. thanks for the help

yes go with the stroker to meet your hp goals. If you want cam help what you should do is talk to a custom cam shop. let them know your set-up and plans they will grind 1 for you. Talk to the guys at afr if you are going with there heads they have a "guy" they like to use.

thanks man your a ton of help, im sure i will have a million more questions before im done with this one. hopefully i can post some pics soon. the more i look at my 4 eye notch the more i think about keeping the motor in that on instead of my 87 notch even though the 87 has brand new sonic blue paint. but i might have to swap the mach 1 cowl for a 3 inch. then i can go with an air gap intake.