Carb on a 351W, should I switch to EFI or will that break my bank account?

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
Hey Guys, I was wondering if any of you have a 351w with fuel injection and what intake, injectors, distributor, and ECM thingy your using.

I'm thinking of going to EFI but I'm not sure what will work with my highflow cnc ported heads and 268 x-trem comp cam. I was also wondering what the EFI setup would cost me.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

ALOT!!lol. What year is your car and what fuel pump and stuff are you using right now. If its all carbureted mechanical stuff then you have quite an uphill battle going for ya.
$400-500 intake
$100-300 injectors
$100-200 throttle body
$200-400 wiring harness
$200-300 MAF crap
then you still need an EFI 351 distributor, and then an electric fuel pump to support the EFI fuel pressures, and then any misc. junkyard stuff like the steel fuel lines, wires, blah blah blah. I dont think its possible for under $2000 since you need performance parts to support the engine and because its a 351 and not a 302 so parts are harder to find and more expensive. I'm pretty sure you can use a 302 wiring harness which you can buy everything from one of those mustang junker places where they strip mustangs and sell the stuff. Couple of those guys in all the magazines. Tell them you need everything to go from carb to EFI. I think they sell the entire computer/wiring harness in one kit. Then use a MSD 351 dizzy which should connect right into the wiring harness if you get the EFI dizzy. Again, use 302 fuel rails and stuff, and probably 30 lb injectors, and a 75mm throttle body. For the intake use a vic jr. Its designed for high rpm 302s so it will definitely flow your built 351. Hope this gives you a better idea.

Whoo Wee, that's a lot of money! What do you guys think about the Holley projection system? If I used one of those I wouldn't have to worry about getting a lot of that stuff on Smockdoiley's list.

If you want to simplify things then get an aftermarket fuel injection kit like that or Edelbrock or some of the other companies. Its not exactly the same thing. Their setup looks kinda like a carburetor setup like TBI but it uses fuel injectors like EFI. May be the answer you are looking for, but its still expensive.