Carb Recommendation for mild street buildup 5.0

Grits

SEE!! I do have a neck!
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2000
Colorado Springs, CO
In all honesty, FWIW, i have very little experience tuning carbs, but ive decided this is defenetly the route i want to take... im thinking eathier the edelbrock performer rpm or weiland steath intake... this is going in a 91 ranger.

stock bore 5.0, E303 cam, GT-40P heads w/ springs up to .560 lift, 1.7 roller rockers.

kinda mild, im on a tight budget... i was thinking about a Edelbrock performer 1406 600 Cfm, or a holley street avenger 575 or 675 cfm

Ive heard the holley 600 CFM dubble pumpers are kinda a PITA to tune.. the speed demon 650 is another option, ive heard good things about it... This is NOT my daily driver here, thanks all

Thanks all...:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

First, glad you made it back home from the Land of Sand. I appreciate you guys over there defending our freedom. I have experience with Edelbrock, Holley and Demon carbs. The Edelbrock would give you the least amount of trouble as far as tuning goes, they were always the easiest for me. The Holley Avenger carbs give really good throttle response and the Demon is good for max performance. No matter what carb you get, don't go much bigger than a 650 based on your combo.

since the E303 cams curve stops around 5500 RPM i wouldn't go with anything more than 625cfm. somewhere around 615 would probably be best. the 675 def is way to much for the combo i think. i prefer the edelbrocks, cause they come out of the box pretty well set up and are easier IMO to tune and work with.

1.6 RR's will do you just fine with that combo. I'd go with a 600 Holly double pumper. As for the two intakes you listed, get the Stealth...it's cheaper and flows better/at least as good, and has a broader power band which is where you want it on the street. As for being a PITA to tune....you're gonna learn something about it one way or another....I put a 650dp on my car almost 2 years ago...i pulled it out of the box and bolted it on, set the idle mixture screws and idle set screw and haven't touched it since. I've drove it in all weather/temps and it doesn't even have a choke. Now, if i got into it and tuned it up i'm sure i'd get better performance, but it isn't lacking enough in any department to get me motivated to open it up.

Is the street avenger 575 enough carb? im assuming it is... especially if i dont plan on spinning the hell out the motor. i really dont want to run rich up top with too much carb.

The edelbrock performer is attractive, sounds user friendly and is relitively low-budget... Im still kicking around the manual or electric choke too.... im thinking using a manual choke.. less maintience.. Anyone care to comment?

Grits said:
Is the street avenger 575 enough carb? im assuming it is... especially if i dont plan on spinning the hell out the motor. i really dont want to run rich up top with too much carb.

The edelbrock performer is attractive, sounds user friendly and is relitively low-budget... Im still kicking around the manual or electric choke too.... im thinking using a manual choke.. less maintience.. Anyone care to comment?

You're going to be a big debate on this one, but i'd stay away from Edelbrock unless you don't expect to ever bother learning about tuning the car and just want to throw it on and not screw with it. Edels make for a great daily driver carb but i hate'em for racing.

those pesky 426 max wedges used carters decades ago, people tend to never think outside the box. For a serious racing effort, No they arent what you want but for what your building they work awesome.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
You're going to be a big debate on this one, but i'd stay away from Edelbrock unless you don't expect to ever bother learning about tuning the car and just want to throw it on and not screw with it. Edels make for a great daily driver carb but i hate'em for racing.

This is a really good point.... and i really want to learn to tune.. i really like the idea of the Holley 600 DP..

Anyone have an opinion on the Barry Grant Speed Demon?

The only thing that concerns me with holley is the mechanical Secondarys... true, the vehicle will weight right around 3100 pounds, and ill be using a T-5..

any advantages to mechanical secondarys over vacuum? thanks again for the help..

Grits said:
This is a really good point.... and i really want to learn to tune.. i really like the idea of the Holley 600 DP..

Anyone have an opinion on the Barry Grant Speed Demon?

The only thing that concerns me with holley is the mechanical Secondarys... true, the vehicle will weight right around 3100 pounds, and ill be using a T-5..

any advantages to mechanical secondarys over vacuum? thanks again for the help..

If you ask me, Holleys are finely tuned mechanical masterpieces....lol. They have issues like any other mechanical "thing" but they've been copied by just about every carb maker since day 1.

As for BG Demons....i'll give you the story i got from a pretty trusted parts guy that i used to talk to about BG and their carbs. He said that BG got into a big lawsuit with Holley, because BG was actually building their carbs with Holley parts and selling them as their own, so that basically that "badass running Demon carb" was really just a badass running Holley with a shiney case and a different name. He said that Holley of course won the lawsuit and that Demon was now (since about 4-5 years ago) building their own parts and were total $hit now. He said that the last Demon he bought, he tore it down and literally found metal shavings and metal dust throughout the bowls and such...

Now....i can't back up ANY of this, this is merely what i was told. I have honestly never seen a car with a Demon on it running poorly...so you can take that as maybe they're really good even still, or maybe their owners are tuning them properly, or whatever. Things like this are enough for me and my hard earned money to go with what i know is going to perform well...even if it is sticking with the beaten path. There's a reason Holleys have been on every major production vehicle since the beginning...

Oh, and the point about getting Holley parts at Autozone and such....this is also a good point. If you ever need to rebuild your carb (which is probably inevitable over enough time) you can pick up parts usually right down the street from you. I've got 2 Autozones within 5 miles of my house.

hey fellas i hate to hi-jack this post but most of my mods are in my sig, besides harden push rods roller rockers etc etc .40 over bore i run a 750 holley and it floods on me a fair amount, i was wondering what jets should i run? i want the extra ponies, i know im not getting them running rich, another reason is my float adjuster is broke, im waiting on my new front bowl as well.

87Mustang351 said:
hey fellas i hate to hi-jack this post but most of my mods are in my sig, besides harden push rods roller rockers etc etc .40 over bore i run a 750 holley and it floods on me a fair amount, i was wondering what jets should i run? i want the extra ponies, i know im not getting them running rich, another reason is my float adjuster is broke, im waiting on my new front bowl as well.

I'm not a big fan of jetting down....this means you're going to be pulling more air than you need and you're compensating with the jets. It sucks but i'd look into buying a smaller carb and maybe selling the 750. Depending on how much jetting you really need, you might be wasting your time anyways and you'll only get soft performance. Jetting is more of a tuning aid, and not a "make this damn 750 work on my car" kind of thing, ya know? :rlaugh:

Yea, on my 650 I didnt have the float adjusted right and I flooded the crap out of my car. You sould be fine with the jets that are in the 750 for you 351.

Also, is your fuel pressure set to high. If you are pushing fuel past the needle and seat you will flood the crap out of it, just a thought