Carb recommendation?

Zooted_plus

Jan 14, 2003
Dublin, CA
Hey everyone,

I'm sure some of you remember the issues I was having a while back with my holley. I'm looking for some suggestions on what size and type of carb I should run with my 289. See sig for engine combo, stock heads and no stall converter.

Tried a 525 road demon jr... no matter what I did I had a wicked bog. Got great gas mileage though!

• Sponsors (?)

Seriously consider a Pro Vac 650 carb from QuickFuel Technology.

I have their ProVac 750 on my 351w..........it ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

It is like EFI, that is how good my throttle response is.

You could actually get away with the 750......vac secondaries allow you to run what many would say is a too big carb.

I got mine off a guy on ebay.......hard to come by.

Jegs actually sells their carbs and parts now....so call them.

You will absolutely not believe it! :nice:

EDIT: their web site: www.quickfueltechnology.com Click on "monthly specials" for the 650...it is $299.00

PS: I had an edelbrock 750......sucked ballz, I also sold a Holley 750 double pumper in favor of the ProVac!

Zooted_plus said:
Cool, I might try the provac out... had no trouble at all selling the demon. :D

Either way I want to drive the stang again... I miss my stereo system... and the loud exhaust.

Good decision!

Call and talk to Marty Brown......he is owner....he knows his stuff!!!! He can actually custom tune it for your specific engine (it would cost a little more though?).

Any way tell him Mike from Thunder Bay sent you! I have dealt with him several times, and he has been excellent as far as customer service! :nice:

allcarfan said:
edelbrock 1405...600 cfm. PERFECT carb for your combo. You can pick one up for less than $100 on ebay!

Ya........and what you will get 90% of the time is some POS that didn't run right on someones car for whatever reason!

Edelbrock isn't all that good of a carb........I know, I had one! :notnice:

Instead of throwing $100+++ at some used or supposed rebuilt POS on ebay.....do yourself the favor and buy new or from someone like QuickFuel or Davinci!

End of Story

I had the Edelbrock 600 witha an electric choke on my 289 and loved it. I pulled it off because the car is used primarily for open track events with the Shelby Club here in Northern California. On some of the long turns (like the carousel at Sears Point or turn 2 at Thunderhill) I would get a bog after being hard in the turn for an extended period. This only happened on race tires and only on LONG turns (the lateral forces are a bit higher with race rubber :D ).

For a street car, I highly recommend it: easy starts, ran great right out of the box, good mileage. I never had a leak or had to fiddle with it.

To the point I made about Edelbrock carbs.........they are OK....no more, no less.

One thing about them is they are STUPID SENSITIVE to fuel pressure! If you run at 6 psi or above........you will run into problems with flooding, bogs, and in some cases, raw gas filling the seconday side!!!! :notnice: This is with brand new ones.........

Now, when you buy a used carb.......well you are playing russian roulette! Why the heck do most folks sell their carb??? Simple: it is not running properly and they cannot tune it to run properly.

TWO THINGS NOT TO BUY USED: 1) Carbs

2) Underwear

You cant get a better deal than a $75 edelbrock carb and IF it doesnt work, rebuild it for $25.

I have owned 4 edelbrock carbs...varying in size....all worked perfectly.

I have a 650 speed demon i will sell you

I got to defend my Edelbrock carb it works great, no problems, and the are worth the price.

Like the post above me said if you can get it bought & rebuilt for under 125$ you are making out hands down.

As for anyone buying used underwear- If you do that is pretty sad.

Allcarfan- a 650 speed demon is too much for my combo. Thanks for the offer.
I really like the way the demon carbs look though.

however, I'm looking for functionality, not appearance. A BG tech told me a 575 speed demon with vac secondaries would be good.

I gotta go with 67gtcoupe on buying used carbs, yes it is alot like playing russian roulette. I bought this holley I am having troubles with for $30 something dollars off ebay, and I don't know if it's warped or what but it is just dumping fuel into my engine like nobody's business. After three rebuilds no less.

Anyhow, hummer784 has been kind enough to let me try one of his edelbrock 600s... I'll see how my engine likes it and deceide from there.