Cars shuts up when it gets warm

samisawesome

Jul 29, 2011
I will drive my car for about 10-15 miles max and car will start making horrible racketing sound like detonation. And it will just completely shut off and then I can't start it back up until it cools off.

• Sponsors (?)

V6 coolant fill procedures

I give up. What is the MY of your car?

What have you done to rule out overheating as the cause of the issues?

Are there any DTC codes?

Does the cooling fan work? Does the temperature gauge work? If so, what does it say is the engine temperature?

What is the conditon of the cooling system? Anti-freeze percentage? Air trapped in the motor? Any leaks? Radiator clean inside and out? Does the cooling system hold pressure?

If asked to guess, it's over heating. That's the reason for the terrible sounds.

The most common reason for a V6 to over heat is air trapped in the motor. The most common reason the air is trapped is because of incorrect cooling filling.

Note. This is important. When air is traped at the top of the motor, the cooling sensor is in contact with air instead of coolant. This makes the sensor read low. As result, the PCM "thinks" the motor is fine when in fact it's over heating.

Check out the following link. Follow the produres exactly to ensure there is no air trapped inside the motor.

1998 mustang irregular rpm's showing hot - Ford Mustang Forums