Cash for Clunkers sounded ok until I read they would destroy my stang

jay90GT302

Mar 2, 2008
I have a 90GT almost all rebuilt in good shape with an excellent and rarer these days all-black interior. I have had her for almost 2 years and I decided it was finally S197 time, so i'd figured i'd sell her for around 4 grand. It qualifies for cash for clunkers because it gets under 18mpg combined according to the 90 window sticker. So the program, sounded good at first, a quick 4500 for my car but then I realized I would only get 3500. If i get a new car 4mpg better i get 3500 for it and 10mpg better 4500, but the thing is i would only get the 3500 for upgrading to a new stang, and there is no car/econo-box i would want that gets 27 combined to get the 4500 credit. I then read on to find the gov would destroy my car with this program... NO DEAL

• Sponsors (?)

Under the bill, the engine and transmission of the vehicle traded in must be destroyed, but the body and other components are sold off to salvage yards for resale.

I hate how every car guy now talks about this bill as if the government is going to send out a fleet of men in black suits and black sunglasses in black tow trucks to forcibly remove their vehicles from their gaages for a tiny government rebate. The bill is VOLUNTARY. So, under that logic, don't trade in your $50,000 '69 Chevelle for a $3500 rebate towards a new Chevy Cobalt. You'll never even see a check, as the money is sent as an electronic credit directly to the dealership. Here's an idea: don't trade in your car under the bill.

Let the record show that I hate this bill and I hope it gets caught up in senate red tape due to all of the lobbying against it by environmental groups. It's a terrible idea and will be ineffective at its proposed goal of increasing overall fuel efficiency. The REAL goal of the bill is to clear inventory off the lots of American dealerships and get the car companies off government funding.

The bill is more or less a garantee that whatever POS you trade in will get you at least 4500. That way anyone with a qualifying vehicle has an automatic 4500 towards the purchase of a new car.

The gov't buys the car for 4500 no matter what and destroys the drivetrain.

You need to have owned the car at least 1 year...so no going out and buying a $1000 POS and trading it in.

If your trade is worth more than $4500...then this bill is not for you

ANyone trading a Mustang in (unless it's a total rotbox POS) should be ashamed!

The bill is more or less a garantee that whatever POS you trade in will get you at least 4500. That way anyone with a qualifying vehicle has an automatic 4500 towards the purchase of a new car.

The gov't buys the car for 4500 no matter what and destroys the drivetrain.

You need to have owned the car at least 1 year...so no going out and buying a $1000 POS and trading it in.

If your trade is worth more than $4500...then this bill is not for you

ANyone trading a Mustang in (unless it's a total rotbox POS) should be ashamed!

could i trade in my old stang :)

could i trade in my old stang :)

Trade-in’s have to be drivable vehicles made in the last 25 years, continuously insured by the same owner for at least one year with a fuel economy rating of no more than 18 miles per gallon.

There are also restrictions on what cars can be bought to replace the clunkers.

Actually, my dad has a '97 Dodge Ram POS he wants to get rid of...so i gotta look into this for him.