Catless in a CARB state?

Octuneman

Jul 26, 2019
maryland
I live in maryland and have to get inspected every two years. I was wondering if anyone knows if they really check if you have cats when you go in or what? I wanna get a catless h pipe but idk cuz emmisions is a bitch. Anyone know any work arounds? other than putting some on before emmisions.

• Sponsors (?)

Here in MA, no cats on the car and they won’t even inspect you.

I’m sure if you had a brother who owned an inspection station he’d let you slide but otherwise you are SOL with strangers.

X2!
Hi,
I’m also in Mass. & we get it yearly, inspection process is monitored by cameras piped directly to the DMV in most spots.
If your CARB, they will certainly do a visual. Being OBD-2 compounds the issue, you’d need to run MIL eliminators, or disable the downstream sensors via programming.
Running Cat’s is not going to affect your performance enough to make a difference. My suggestion is just going with a compliant high flow Catted H & avoid the headaches.
-John

Reactions: 1 user
It might be wise to also mention the model year of your car. Why is this important? Because there are some model years (2003+ for example) that have a sub-routine that will create a misfire just to "prove" there are cats in place.

What this means is the usual methods of defeating the rear O2 sensors will not work. The PCM will still throw a DTC code.

It might be wise to also mention the model year of your car. Why is this important? Because there are some model years (2003+ for example) that have a sub-routine that will create a misfire just to "prove" there are cats in place.

What this means is the usual methods of defeating the rear O2 sensors will not work. The PCM will still throw a DTC code.

Hit the nail on the head.