Ccrm's

donameche

Sep 11, 2016
2003 Mach 1, 128,000 miles, ccrm replaced 4/2015 (A/C blowing hot, fan not working), then worked good. Shortly after, began to overheat & A/C blowing hot. Person that put in CCRM April 2015 no longer there. Took car to another repair shop, was told I need new fan, it's overheating, once overheating is fixed they'll look at A/C. Wasn't comfortable with that & took it elsewhere. This time I told mechanic to check ccrm, left car. Came back, & YES, it was ccrm & was replaced. Figured the one just installed was faulty. This was on 8/2015. Shortly after, started having overheat problems & drove very little, took back roads to keep from sitting at traffic lights. Didn't turn on A/C. Had to replace other items: clutch, brakes, tires, broke radiator hose, & couldn't have overheat issue looked at yet. FINALLY took car in for overheat problem 2 days ago. Needed flush & thermostat checked.Thermostat sticking & was replaced. Drove home, then decided to go somewhere...FINALLY with A/C, being 3rd summer in Florida without A/C. I was reluctant, car was running OK, & after having SO many problems with overheating & A/C, but, it's HOT & need A/C. Turned it on, worked great, really cold air, for 5 minutes, then hot air. I continued to where i was going, about 5 miles.When I pulled in, car dies. Try to start it, had a hard time starting, then started up...so something is definitely wrong, it's always started right up. Left to go back to repair shop & upon acceleration, there's a noise, I kept going slowly. Stalls at 1st 2 lights, hard start, & still acceleration noise. 3rd light, stalls, won't start. Stuck, call for tow truck. Still sitting in road after 20 minutes, I try to start it to just get OFF road. Starts right up & as I gas it to get over to a lane, it's not going, like not getting gas. Then it kicked in & drove good long enough to get off road then died again. Looked under hood & saw a little water had come out of radiator, so overheating a little? Is fan not running, it was OK earlier that day. Then towed to repair shop. Sounds like fuel pump? Maybe. No A/C, potentially fuel pump problem (didn't have before 1st 2 ccrm replacements), & overheating a little due to fan maybe not coming on?, so ccrm again? It never needed a fan, it was the ccrm. If it is that, this will be the 4th one to replace in less than 1-1/2 years (including the original), & would have been even a lot shorter time if I didn't get sidetracked with other repairs. 1st one replaced 4/2015, replaced again 8/2015, figured the ccrm was just a bad part. But now, another one. What could be happening, what can be fouling out the ccrm?

• Sponsors (?)

The website I use for diagrams isn't working right now and I'm not at home to look at my book. But maybe a wiring problem. I know the ccrm has relays for the fan, a/c, and fuel pump, but can't remember how they're wired. If they all use a common power wire or a common ground that could have something to do with it.

Check the battery terminals and battery cables. Don't cut corners here! Then look for a bad CCRM ground or bad ignition switch.

Double check the grounds around the radiator core support.

Look for a large black wire with a white stripe going around the battery. It connects to a round single pin connector. This is the CCRM ground. It's sometimes disconnected during battery maintenance.

How to tell? When the problem occurs check for key on power at fuse F2.34 in the central junction box (CJB) using a known good ground. If power then the ignition switch is good.

Not a bad idea to inspect the wires and connector of the CCRM itself for evidence of over heating. I'm also assuming that the fender liner is correctly installed and road debris and water is not being directed upon the CCRM while driving.

Note2. It's quite possible to test power from each stage of the CCRM. This would help isolate WHERE the problem is. However this will require some detailed test using a volt-ohm meter (VOM).

A full set of wiring diagram could be your friend trouble shooting this. If interested in getting a copy for yourself I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

Last edited:
Thank You!!! That's a start. It seems like the fan & fuel pump work good until I turn on the A/C. When the repair shop was checking the overheating problem, the fan was working, & fuel pump. But when they fixed the overheating, I then turned the A/C on & it was downhill from there. I had the A/C looked at in between ccrm problems & looked OK. Wiring diagram would be helpful.