Centerforce, Mcleod, or Spec clutch for softer pedal feel??

juiced_94gt

Mar 30, 2005
Southern California
Hum GTR keeps telling me that the "street performance" clutch is a good everyday clutch and that the dual friction centerforce has it's issues (stiff pedal when wearing out, sometimes not engaging) and that the Mcleod is better in the quality department with a slightly heavier pedal than the centerforce, as for the spec i've only read their website, my 331 is street driven only and I drive 100 miles a day and in HEAVY 405 california traffic during the week so I need the lightest possible pedal feel WITHOUT resorting to a twin disc set-up, feel free to recomend other companies but my king cobra is kicking my ass right now and since I pulled the motor now is the time to put in the right clutch, thanks.

Mario.

• Sponsors (?)

What ended up happening to your 331?

The mcleod disk with a king cobra pressure plate will be plenty strong and have a nice pedal feel. Thats the set up i'm using right now with my 347/tremec 3550 combo. If not that, a spec 2+ will work well too IMO.

What ended up happening to your 331?

The mcleod disk with a king cobra pressure plate will be plenty strong and have a nice pedal feel. Thats the set up i'm using right now with my 347/tremec 3550 combo. If not that, a spec 2+ will work well too IMO.

Still not sure on the motor. I just removed the engine last weekend (Im a union ironworker so most of the time im just flat out tired LOL 6 months later) but im taking the heads to a shop and the motor back to CHP to either warranty it or fix it, I WANT in back on the road ASAP :)

cool thanks, is the centerforce a quality peice? has anyone ever tried the Mcleod street clutch?? is a stock replacement clutch an option with 342 RWTQ?? it has the stock t-5 whick im not trying to break anytime soon and the car WILL NEVER HAVE ANYTHING ELSE BUT STREET TIRES.

I daily drove with that clutch. It has over 20k on it right now, and I was not easy on it. This was on a "300 rwhp" 302. A little less torque than you had was likely.

The Centerforce or McLeod is a quality clutch.

King Cobra is a quality clutch on a budget as well. I just liked the softer pedal that then Centerforce has.

Any of the clutches you listed will be quality parts, but I only have experience with the Centerforce out of the options. It has a soft pedal, probably even more so than the King Cobra that I'm running now.

I have a Mcleod clutch and like it pretty well. The pedal feel is definitely not as soft as stock but I have no problems with that. In the beginning I had a tiny bit of clutch chatter, but it went away after about 500 miles.

I really like it.