Forced Induction centrifugal supercharger timing question

bdep73

Jan 15, 2012
hartford, CT
Hey guys I was hoping I could get a few of your opinions on timing with a centrifugal supercharger. I recently installed a methanol injection kit on my 1990 5.0 mustang. the car has a Novi 2000 set up for 10 lbs of boost. After installing the meth kit I was playing around with my timing and I found that the car ran well two different ways. The first way was 12 degrees initial timing with 5 degrees being pulled out of the total timing under full boost. The second way was 17 degrees initial timing and 10 degrees being pulled out of the total timing under full boost. My question is this - which is better, more initial timing with more timing being pulled out of the total timing under full boost or less initial timing with less timing being pulled out of the total timing under full boost.

My opinion with my perticular setup is it's better to have more initial timing pre boost when you need it and under full boost when timing isnt as important pull more out of the total timing. The thing is as I said before the car ran well both ways and without a dyno it's hard for me to really know which way is gving me the most power.

I was hoping some of you guys have already gone through this same issue and were able to use a dyno so you are not just guessing like I am. As always any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)