Changed oil but have a question need help!

62thunderbird

Jul 2, 2008
Nor Cal
I need some help. I bought 10w30 full syn (Castrol) and put that in my Mach1 without reading the manual. I know stupid right. The oil is only 200 miles old should I drain it out and put in the 5w20 or should I wait till 3,000 miles and change it. By putting in the 10w30 is that going to hurt my motor. Will this change the tolerances in the motor? When I change it next time with the 5w20 will it hurt it. I am just concerned about my motor. I have 5w20 (Castrol) full syn on me I just went out and bought it. So any help would be great. I feel really stupid for doing this. I heard the 5w20 was just used for cafe reasons and that 10w30 may be better for it because it is a little thicker. is this true?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, in my GT I run 5w30 as the manual states.

Supposidly there are differences between the Windsor (mine) and Romeo (01-04 GT's) 4.6's that the Romeo's benefit from 5w20 oil.

10w will be a little thicker on startup, but really with it still being warm out its not that big of a deal.

Of course, 4v's are different than 2v's but I wouldn't sweat running 10w30 for an oil change. And no, it won't hurt to switch back. Just like switching to or back from synthetic won't hurt.

Thanks guys for the help. Thanks I am going to change it I guess at the next oil change. It is still warm out so you guys are right only thick at start up but thins out when it has been running for a while.