Changed The Turn Signal Switch And Everything Went Crazy!

Jim McGee

May 19, 2016
Hey. I'm a new guy, so if I'm doing this wrong be patient with me.
I have a 66 coupe. Been restored and well maintained for fifteen years. I replaced all the underdash wiring and meticulously reworked the radio wiring avoiding the typical power/ground pitfalls. Everything was great until my horn started blowing when I turned. I found one of the horn brushes broken and set out to replace the turn signal switch. I unplugged the two connectors installed the new switch with no apparent problems, until I turned on the radio.
The speakers are picking up interference from every switch on the dash. They thump with the turn signal on, when the lights and wipers are turned on, when the key is turned off and when the brake pedal is pressed. I have been staring at theses wires for a week and I don't " see" anything wrong. Frustrated and out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated. I know it's either a ground issue or other component failure, but I can't find it.

• Sponsors (?)

Update...
Custom autosound slidebar radio failed. Swapped back to old radio and everything went back to normal. I wish there was a high quality radio manufacturer that made a good OEM style modern radio for those of us that like the original look.