Changing Things Up This Season...1st Track Outing!

Why not try Brisk plugs there for nitrous applications..and this controller how does it hook up?...Also how do those tires compare to a drag radial there street tires no?

I will have to look at the brisk plugs. You will have to Google the NOS mini for a diagram, but it basically pulsed the ground for the noids to slow down the nitrous and fuel spray. As for the tires, there is no comparison. What I am doing is like putting a set of nitro 555r's on a funny car. It is just a cost effective way to put limits on the class and allow the poor man to race (that's me!).

Joe

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok ill look it up so does it turn the solenoids on to or just slow them down?

The solenoid is on or off, there really is no in between. I imagine it like a fuel injector. The controller opens and closes the solenoid rapidly to control the flow. Under normal circumstances, the activation of the nitrous system would open the solenoid and keep them there until you lifted from WOT. By pulsing, the controller limits the amount of nitrous and fuel flowing.

Hope that makes some sense.

Joe

Reactions: 1 users
The solenoid is on or off, there really is no in between. I imagine it like a fuel injector. The controller opens and closes the solenoid rapidly to control the flow. Under normal circumstances, the activation of the nitrous system would open the solenoid and keep them there until you lifted from WOT. By pulsing, the controller limits the amount of nitrous and fuel flowing.

Hope that makes some sense.

Joe

Yes it does thanks!

Thanks for that.

So would you recommend heat range 6, or the racing plugs at a heat range of 8? Is that overkill for such a mild combo? I might add that I would prefer not to go so extreme on the plugs that I can't drive it around with the NOS plugs in it if I needed to.

Joe
id start with the FR5

20170527_091427.jpg
20170527_091427.jpg
20170526_225149.jpg
Made it to Steele Alabama last night, to the Alabama International Dragway for some test n tune. Track Wasn't great and the crowd was large. I had ran the car n/a with a few goals in mind that I felt would put me in a contender position with the all season tires.

1) a 1.8x 60ft
2) a 7.9x 1/8 and a 12.2x 1/4

1st pass out I was against a beautiful 85 with a 672 rwhp terminator swap. 1.91 60ft, 7.96 and 12.24. I was extremely excited because this is with no changes other than launch rpm (1600).

2nd pass a wrx red lit on me and I got excited and spun the tires. Went 1.97, 8.22 and 12.55.

3rd and last pass I was happy, so I threw the ET streets back and let it go at my usual launch rpm, 6k. It spun bad, I shifted early and went a 1.67, 7.59 and 11.79, at almost 117mph. A new PB.

I normally cut 1.5x 60fts and have run a best ET in the 1/8 of 7.45 with a 1.57 60ft. I was .1 slower on the 60 and .14 slower in the 1/8. If it had gone a 1.57 like normal, I think I it would have been an 11.6x pass.

Couple of pics attached and will do vids later.

Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
even a number 7 seems really cold

Is there a dislike button? Well crap, I have already bought a dozen of these. I trust your judgement, that's why I went hotter than what ngk said to. But I Don't trust my nitrous abilities, since this is my first go at it. I am close to 11:1 compression if that makes any difference.

What should I look for on the plug to tell me it's cold? I understand color for rich or lean, I understand the timing on the ground strap, and I understand what detonation looks like, but what about heat?

Thanks for the help!

Joe

ahhh ok 11:1...

now things are making sense...

can you do a pull and shut it off and pull the plugs? im talking no idle time after crossing the traps

ahhh ok 11:1...

now things are making sense...

can you do a pull and shut it off and pull the plugs? im talking no idle time after crossing the traps

My plan is fresh plugs, on trailer, off trailer, through staging lanes, burnout, pass, ignition off at the stripe, pull 4 plugs.

And I was thinking cylinders 2, 4, 5 &7. Thought that would give me a wide array to look at. 1 from front and rear cylinders and one from the centers on each bank.

Now of course, some of this testing may have to be done in Mexico....

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
take pictures of them and send them to me when you get them out.
if you have a 5/8" hole saw you can cut the threads off pretty quick to check for the fuel ring

Easy part is done. And I had to go away from the plate kit for the time being, but with only a 100 to a 150 shot I am not too worried about it.

Joe
20170531_091402.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
It will be next week before I can continue with my install, but I will continue. I apparently picked the worst time to do a nitrous install, because the while country is in a shortage due to a plant explosion. Atlanta motor speedway is apparently flying it in from out of the country. No one has it around here and said it would probably be the end of the year.

Joe

@TOOLOW91 @A5literMan

Ok, so I finally got the bottle filled, at a cost of $75! I am going to the track Friday night but wanted to try it out once to make sure it was working.

In went a 50 shot and I pulled 4 degrees of timing, back to 10 initial. Also had some race fuel still mixed in, so probably not necessary. I left the autolite 3924's in that I normally run. I have no idea if what I did is a no no, or acceptable, but I cleaned the number 5 plug with carb cleaner and a wire brush, in an attempt to clean it up before I sprayed it.

This is what it looked like with the car cut off about 2-3 seconds out of the throttle.

Can you tell anything at all from this plug? I suspect that my cleaning methods are not acceptable. I do have fresh plugs for Friday.

Joe 20170704_193216.jpg 20170704_193229.jpg 20170704_193226.jpg 20170704_193216.jpg 20170704_193229.jpg 20170704_193226.jpg