Changing Timing Cover Gasket

SoFlStang

May 22, 2013
Tomorrow I am going to attempt to change the timing cover gasket on my 88gt. Any tips or tricks to get it done easier? I have a Haynes and Chiltons manual, but know nothing beats first hand fox enthusiast knowledge. I have the gasket and also bought both red and ultra blue RTV, any preference from you guys on which to use?

• Sponsors (?)

Use black or grey rtv .... change timing chain while you are in there

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

Is there a reason for the black or grey over the red/blue? This is my first time opening an engine part on the car, so I want to make sure I do it right and don't have to take it apart and do it again. How hard is changing the timing chain? Should I just do the chain or the chain and gears? I am concerned about how to move the gears to the correct mark to line up the little circles.

Last edited:
Is there a reason for the black or grey over the red/blue? This is my first time opening an engine part on the car, so I want to make sure I do it right and don't have to take it apart and do it again. How hard is changing the timing chain? Should I just do the chain or the chain and gears? I am concerned about how to move the gears to the correct mark to line up the little circles.
It's not hard , engine on top dead center cyl 1 . comp sells the kit chain and gears , grey are black are good for being oil resistant and correct for what you need them to do , I am sure there are procedures on the forums or get a chiltons book

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

Got it all replaced. It actually was not as bad of a job as I thought it was going to be. Just took some time. When I finally got to the cover and was taking the bolts off, some were very easy to turn. Almost as if it leaked from the bolts not being tight enough. The gasket was fairly new, I am guessing the previous owner just didnt tighten it up enough and when I replaced the radiator cap with a working one, the pressure caused it to leak out. Since I had all the gaskets and was already there, I replaced everything per recommendations on the posts on this board. Thanks again, and anyone who has to do this, just go for it. Set aside a few hours and save some serious labor charges.

Reactions: 1 user
nothing beats doing it yourself huh? :-]
Got it all replaced. It actually was not as bad of a job as I thought it was going to be. Just took some time. When I finally got to the cover and was taking the bolts off, some were very easy to turn. Almost as if it leaked from the bolts not being tight enough. The gasket was fairly new, I am guessing the previous owner just didnt tighten it up enough and when I replaced the radiator cap with a working one, the pressure caused it to leak out. Since I had all the gaskets and was already there, I replaced everything per recommendations on the posts on this board. Thanks again, and anyone who has to do this, just go for it. Set aside a few hours and save some serious labor charges.