Charcoal Canister Vac Line???

Duncan McDougal

Aug 17, 2005
Gainesville, FL
I have a question about the vacuum line running to the charcoal canister. When I was at the salvage yard getting a thermostat housing off of a Mark VII, I noticed that the Mark VII had a one way vacuum valve (VCV) attached to the hose running to the charcoal canister. Everything from my car and the mark VII was identical except for this valve. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a valve on the vacuum line?

PICTURES:
06292009513.jpg

06292009514.jpg

06292009516.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The mustang doesn't have one, but installing it won't hurt. You want it to draw into the engine, but not out. The mustang just has a normal inline connector about halfway down

Charcoal canister plumbing - one 3/8" tube from the bottom of the upper manifold to the rubber hose. Rubber hose connects to one side of the canister solenoid valve. Other side of the solenoid valve connects to one side of the canister. The other side of the canister connects to a rubber hose that connects to a line that goes all the way back to the gas tank. There is an electrical connector coming from the passenger side injector harness near #1 injector that plugs into the canister solenoid valve. It's purpose is to vent the gas tank. The solenoid valve opens at cruse to provide some extra fuel.

attachment.php

It does not weigh but a pound or so and helps richen up the cruse mixture. It draws no HP & keeps the car from smelling like gasoline in a closed garage. So with all these good things and no bad ones, why not hook it up & use it?

Purge valve solenoid:

Carbon Canister:
LRS-9653B.jpg