Charging Issue After Motor Swap

Lawbreaker5.0

Feb 20, 2009
Texas
So i swapped my 4 banger coupe with my 92 convertible GT (mainly cuz i wanted my built engine in the coupe). One day i will put the vert back to v8 but its not feasible right now. Anyway. now that i'm done with putting the 4 cylinder in the convertible. The battery light is on. My battery is in the trunk and is reading 12.1v even when i accelerate so i know its no its not charging correctly. I also have the wires tucked under the fender so i did have to disconnect a lot when putting it back together. I had to splice the dummy light wire (i believe) to the harness to keep the 4 cylinder harness see pics. I know the headlight harness are different but I couldn't switch the headlight harness because i would lose my fog lights on my GT (4 cylinder now)

Anyone know where to start? I wouldn't mind upgrading the alternator but i'd rather not right now. See pics of the wire i had to splice right before the blue connector which i assume is the dummy light going to the dash.

Making things worst was i had prevoulsy tucked the wires in the fender. :/

Maybe someone can start with the wiring diagram for the 4 banger alternator?

On a side note i bought the 4 cylinder from someone and it wasn't running so maybe the alt is truly bad? Can you bench test alternators as my car is ready for the street yet? image2.JPG image1.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

So i swapped my 4 banger coupe with my 92 convertible GT (mainly cuz i wanted my built engine in the coupe). One day i will put the vert back to v8 but its not feasible right now. Anyway. now that i'm done with putting the 4 cylinder in the convertible. The battery light is on. My battery is in the trunk and is reading 12.1v even when i accelerate so i know its no its not charging correctly. I also have the wires tucked under the fender so i did have to disconnect a lot when putting it back together. I had to splice the dummy light wire (i believe) to the harness to keep the 4 cylinder harness see pics. I know the headlight harness are different but I couldn't switch the headlight harness because i would lose my fog lights on my GT (4 cylinder now)

Anyone know where to start? I wouldn't mind upgrading the alternator but i'd rather not right now. See pics of the wire i had to splice right before the blue connector which i assume is the dummy light going to the dash.

Making things worst was i had prevoulsy tucked the wires in the fender. :/

Maybe someone can start with the wiring diagram for the 4 banger alternator?

On a side note i bought the 4 cylinder from someone and it wasn't running so maybe the alt is truly bad? Can you bench test alternators as my car is ready for the street yet? image2.JPG image1.JPG

So i jumped the gun with this thread. I took the alternator to two places and both said the alt is bad. Now the question is to upgrade the alt now or just get a plug a play. Both alternators are around 30 bucks at the junkyard 3G and stock. The reman at autozone or advanced are close to 100 if not more