charging problem... remove jumper cables, car dies.

glennl

Founding Member
Jan 27, 2000
JERSEY!!
my buddy just picked up an 88 Mark VII LSC for $200... for the motor of course, but he wants to drive it a bit before we pull it and dump it in the notchback... here's the problem it has... brand new alternator, but battery's not getting charged... first thought was fusible link, but i wanted to see if you guys had any other ideas... i realize this isn't a stang, but it's an identical 88 5.0 HO as you know... any ideas? you have to jump it to start it, and it'll run until you remove the jumper cables, then it gradually dies.

• Sponsors (?)

glennl said:
my buddy just picked up an 88 Mark VII LSC for $200... for the motor of course, but he wants to drive it a bit before we pull it and dump it in the notchback... here's the problem it has... brand new alternator, but battery's not getting charged... first thought was fusible link, but i wanted to see if you guys had any other ideas... i realize this isn't a stang, but it's an identical 88 5.0 HO as you know... any ideas? you have to jump it to start it, and it'll run until you remove the jumper cables, then it gradually dies.

Check for voltage from the alternator directly at the alternator. You should see 14 volts or more with the engine running at 1000 RPM. If the battery is too low, it will not provide power to the alternator. The alternator needs battery power to make the magnetic field that it requires to create electricty. That would account for the engine dying after the jumper cables are disconnected.