Chassis stiffening questions...

• Sponsors (?)

Camshaft213 said:
gdawg, that looks awesome. where did you get it and what did it cost? thats one of the nicest sub kits ive seen. the jack rail is nice too.

I'm wondering too, where did you get that kit for $99? Also, how much does it cost to get that welded in? Could you tell a big difference? Thanks :D

Camshaft213 said:
gdawg, that looks awesome. where did you get it and what did it cost? thats one of the nicest sub kits ive seen. the jack rail is nice too.

that's not his car.. the whole kit is around $350.. and if you want to get the Kenny Brown Super Subs, Matrix, and Jacking Rails installed should be another $200-300 dollars...

i got my KB supersubs for $45 :D

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I think I'm going to go with the MM full lengths.

I was reading reviews of subs in general and found a few possible problems. I believe it was the Steeda version where people were complaining of reduced ground clearance, and they were hitting on speed bumps, etc. Has anyone had this problem with the flat MM full lengths?

I saw something about the welding burning the carpet....has this happened to anyone here?

Also, are these visible at walking level? I see MM has a powdercoated black version for more $$ and it confused me...is that for rust protection or what?

Finally, it appears the subs will make the car feel more solid, improve handling, reduce noise, and make it last longer overall. I'm still a little worried about ride quality/comfort with all the worn roads around here...after you guys installed subs, did the ride feel rougher from the stiffness?

Stangston said:

I was reading reviews of subs in general and found a few possible problems. I believe it was the Steeda version where people were complaining of reduced ground clearance, and they were hitting on speed bumps, etc. Has anyone had this problem with the flat MM full lengths?

I saw something about the welding burning the carpet....has this happened to anyone here?

Also, are these visible at walking level? I see MM has a powdercoated black version for more $$ and it confused me...is that for rust protection or what?

Finally, it appears the subs will make the car feel more solid, improve handling, reduce noise, and make it last longer overall. I'm still a little worried about ride quality/comfort with all the worn roads around here...after you guys installed subs, did the ride feel rougher from the stiffness?

The cats on my midpipe, even the (stock) K-member brace are a good bit lower than my subs.

Never noticed any problems with my carpet. :shrug:

You have to duck under the car to see them at all. I got the black powdercoated. Just because, really. Maybe it will protect the metal from salt and all that junk.....I do drive through the snow.

I don't think it felt any rougher. If anything, I'd say the car felt more solid going over bumps, like you could feel the suspension reacting more.

1. don't know about the Steeda subs. They did come out witha full length kit that looks nice.

2. make sure you have the person welding them in check to make sure the carpet isn't burning. my installer was always checking.

3. subs shouldn't be visible from walking up to the car. they are far enough under that you would have to get down on your knees to see them.

4. they made my car feel much stronger but the ride quality didn't decrease. it actually feels better now...but the roads in AZ are pretty smooth. I did notice a decrease in rattles after the install.

Hope that helps! I don't think you can go wrong with any full length setup. Just make sure you weld them on. Also, might want to watch out for the powercoated ones....your installer will have to grind off the powercoating to weld them.....

just my $0.02.

Stangston said:

ride quality.. pshh you'll be glad that you did get them.. you can get the powdercoated ones but they'll have to shave the certain points so they can weld them on. but good choice