Exhaust Cheap Headers + Gt40p Heads.

bbrewer5

Oct 2, 2012
El Paso, TX
OK so I just did a gt40p head swap on my 95gt and my MAC shorty headers (These headers are probably as old as the car.) dont have the proper clearance, so I keep burning my plug boots (90* boots).

I cant really afford a nice set of longtubes and a new x-h pipe at the moment, so I'd like to get something cheap that just works for now. I have my eye on some cheap no-name brand from ebay, and I'm wondering if any of you have had any experience, or know if these will clear the spark plugs so im not burning the boots off every 3 days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1995-B...iter_Display:5.0L&hash=item589663429f&vxp=mtr

I couldn't create a hyperlink for some reason, as the box is grayed out.

Thanks,
Brian

• Sponsors (?)

I think my dad wants my gt40p 302 for his truck or else I would sell you the headers off of it. I dont know the brand but they work. I'll try to get a pic of them so you can judge off of them.
OK Thanks. That way I could at least get an idea.

They're burning because you are using the wrong boot angle. Max for header clearance is about 45* and slightly less is even better. Boot length should be about 4" like these from Summit.
Those wont even come close to fitting on my setup. the 90* is hard enough to get on. I attached a pic of what I'm talking about. This is the only one getting burned. I had to cut the boot off of the wire to get it on. Surprisingly enough, it never misses or arcs. I melt through every 3 days or so and cut a boot off my old wires and slip it over that one.

Attachments

• IMG_20121004_114420EDIT.jpg
    IMG_20121004_114420EDIT.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 2,841
OK Thanks. That way I could at least get an idea.

Those wont even come close to fitting on my setup. the 90* is hard enough to get on. I attached a pic of what I'm talking about. This is the only one getting burned. I had to cut the boot off of the wire to get it on. Surprisingly enough, it never misses or arcs. I melt through every 3 days or so and cut a boot off my old wires and slip it over that one.

Wasn't paying enough attention to the fact you had gt40p heads. Looked at mine and had lots of clearance but I have Edlebrock performer heads with BBK shorties. Plug angles appear to be quite different.

Looks like you have good clearance to me. You can get spark plug boot heat shields. They are affordable.

Kurt
I had to cut the boot off of the actual plug wire to get it to snap on to that plug, then slip the boot in between the header and plug after it was already snapped on.
Theres about 3/8 - 1/2 in of space between the tip of the spark plug and the exhaust runner. I dont think I could fit anything more in between there.
EDIT** Just thought of something, If your looking at the big blown up pictures with the chrome ford racing valve covers, thats not my setup. Thats another forum member showing me how much clearance his headers have. My setup is an itty bitty pic you have to click for it to englare to screen size.

Those valve covers, are they taller than the factory ones? It looks like it from the pic. Did you have to get taller ones to clear the roller rockers?
Yea I had to have them to clear the rocker arms. In turn I had to put a spacer to clear the valve covers, then in order to clear my hood I had to take a notch out of the intake to drop the front bolt enough to clear. It was frustrating lol

Yea I had to have them to clear the rocker arms. In turn I had to put a spacer to clear the valve covers, then in order to clear my hood I had to take a notch out of the intake to drop the front bolt enough to clear. It was frustrating lol
Ugh, I wonder if I could use my stock ones with some cheaper 1.6 roller rockers.

Any way you could take another pic of the right side (passenger side), side shot, looking directly at the side of the engine? Im thinking about buying these headers tomorrow. If yours looks like the #1 runner of the ones I'm looking at, Ill buy them. If not, I'll have to go for the ford racing P headers or some bbk's. I really dont have $250+ at the moment. lol I might have to buy some plug wires from the junk yard and cut the rubber boots off of them and replace them every few hundred miles on my trip. :/

I ended up ordering some Chrome BBK Shorties that work well with the gt40p heads. I got them on sale at LMR for 210 bucks instead of the normal $260. I should have them by Tuesday. Thank you for all of your help guys! Thanks jonezy for the pics! It was a big help.

Reactions: 1 users

That sounds awfully familiar. I did that before with my old engine. Then they came out with a Trick flow cast cover that clear stud rockers, and are low profile. I switched to those.

You could try a shorter spark plug. You will have to dig through a spark plug catalog to match one up.

Kurt

I ended up ordering some Chrome BBK Shorties that work well with the gt40p heads. I got them on sale at LMR for 210 bucks instead of the normal $260. I should have them by Tuesday. Thank you for all of your help guys! Thanks jonezy for the pics! It was a big help.

How did these end up working out for you? I know this post is 8 years old but I’m new member lol. I’m ready to order a set of headers for my gt40p heads and I’m just trying to buy one set. Thx

I have not worked with the GT40 heads and header clearance. I have a like problem with the vortec heads on my SBC with number 5 cylinder plug. Like any problem a ballpeen hammer and a little heat can take care of the clearance problem. Saw vid a while back with a few guys banging on a set of headers and making dyno pulls with little or no effect on a dented header.

Reactions: 1 user