cheap t-lok rearend

30AnnivStang

Founding Member
Jul 25, 2001
Mauldin , SC
cheap t-lok rearend (not the same ol' crap)

I was told that i could get a 7.5 rearend out of a 4x4 ranger, it would have 3.73 gears like i want and t-lok like i want and possibly be very cheap. does anyone know if this is true? i understand that i would prolly want to use my current axles.

• Sponsors (?)

30AnnivStang said:
I was told that i could get a 7.5 rearend out of a 4x4 ranger, it would have 3.73 gears like i want and t-lok like i want and possibly be very cheap. does anyone know if this is true? i understand that i would prolly want to use my current axles.

ttt, this is not the same ol' crap

Possibly out of an old one... but not a new one. My brother has a 99 ranger 4x4 and it doesn't have a tloc. Also, it has 4.10 gears. (its a 5 speed). Actually, not having lsd MIGHT just because he has the 3.0 liter engine. It's possible the 4.0l might have them. If not, maybe the older ones have it. I'll ask him when he gets home from work.

NEVER buy used tlok and gears you are asking for tons of trouble, tons of hassels, annoyances, and more money in the end than simply buying the parts new. I got used gears and tlok and they broke... cost me 100 tow fee, 450 parts, 200 install, where as if i add on the 175 for the tlok/gears and 200 for install on top you see how much i was out... buy an 8.8 or buy new parts. if you EVER plan on maknig it fast, goign to the track buy an 8.8

It's best to buy a new Tlock for like $189. Much more worth it then getting one that has been beat to hell. Even if you did buy used, you should still get a rebuild kit for it and those around $70.

I got my tloc and had it installed for $100 total. Had it in for two years with no problems at all. When I get a supercharger I'll get an 8.8 but till then, I see no problems with the one I have. (and it's been beat to hell). :shrug:

Nope, I got it from one of my roommates in college. He had like 85,000 miles on his car when he gave me the tlock. Trust me, he beat the hell out of it. Now that I have it, I'm not any easier on it. I don't doubt that you killed yours or anything, but maybe you just had a weak rear. Or maybe whoever had it before you was putting down huge amounts of power and then traded up for the 8.8. My friend was only putting down like 260 at the wheels when he gave it to me. (He rebuilt his engine, rear, and suspension at the same time and ended up making 350 rwhp) It just depends where you get it from I guess.

Anyway, back to the question. I talked to my brother about getting a tlock out of a ranger. The tlock is an option. His truck doesn't have a tlock but it has a 28 spline 8.8. Basically if you want to find a 7.5 tlock you need to find a spec sheet to tell you what code to look for on the drivers side door panel of the ranger. The code tells you what gears, rear, spline, and differential that truck has. I'll have my brother find the spec sheet later if you want it. He said its on a ranger forum somewhere. He suggests looking in www.rangerpowersports.com/forums Hope that helps.

just be leary, one wrong launch at the track (real launch) and it may go, just be prepared for a back up plan on getting it home when drivign it isnt available, i had to wait like 3 hours and finally at 2 am the truck showed up....