cheapest place for OEM stock clutch cable

jimdrechsler

Jun 29, 2006
i need another cable. i bought a stupid adjustable one last year and the headers got the best of it. maybe lasted about 1000 miles IF that. probably much less. anyway, i have read that all aftermakrket cables are crap and i agree with them now. my ? is, where can i find the cheapest stock cable for my 90 stang. my mechanic is doing the clutch along with a lot of other things. i would like to send this cable directly to his house. any websites online, or should i go straight to the dealer?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

WAIT!!!!! :eek:

Those are NOT the same cable!!!!

The cable sold at parts stores such as Autozone and Advance Auto is an OEM-fit cable, but it is not actually an OEM cable. And, yes, they ARE different. If you compare a stock Ford cable to any aftermarket piece, you'll see a definite difference in the way the cables are wound and capped. I've already had one of the aftermarket cables snap on me after only 9 months of use, just with a plain King Cobra clutch (which is not very stiff at all); I wound up putting the old OEM cable back on and not only has it lasted for over 200k previously, but it's also smoother in operation.

A TRUE FORD OEM CABLE can be had from a few different places. The cheapest I've found is from Maximum Motorsports. Frankenstang got hers from them a few months ago for about $75, shipped. It's listed as a "universal" cable, but the only thing you'll need to do is transfer that little metal bracket on the frame onto the new cable - takes all of five minutes with a pair of pliers, whooptie-doo.

Also, this would be a PERFECT time to invest in an aluminum cable quadrant and a firewall adjuster. Smoother pedal operation, adjustability, and never having to worry aobut that stupid factory clutch cable quadrant breaking on you at an inopportune moment. Do it once, do it right, and never worry about it, again. :nice:

The Diversified is a Ford adjustable one, not an OEM style one. I've always used the Ford Racing Heavy Duty clutch upgrade kit that runs about $60 or so and includes a new clutch fork, but the last two I've bought have only lasted a year or less before failing. One buckled at the firewall and the other started fraying at the clutch quadrant (it was attached to a URP quadrant). I just changed to the Maximum Motorsports Ford cable and used the MM aluminum quadrant as well, and man, what a difference! It is so much smoother and it was a breeze to install since it is several inches longer than the Fox cable. It works smoothly enough to easily let me break the tires loose on a 1-2 shift for a second or so, and bark them pretty well on a 2-3 shift, even with my stock 285,000 mile car and about 80,000 mile clutch.

I hope I get a good long life from it. The older Ford cables usually lasted about 50,000 city stop & go driving miles for me.

Edit: You can use any firewall adjuster with the MM cable. I'm still using my UPR one and it works fine.

It seems to me the cable to get from Diversified is:

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=374

The price looks to have gone up a couple bucks since I ordered one.

I've used both the Ford Adjustable and non-adjustable cables. I guess I've had better luck than some folks because both worked flawlessly for me. My favorite combo was an old SVO single hook and Ford ajustable cable.

I've never heard anything remotely negative about the MM cables so that's also a solid choice.

Good luck.

well i got a call from teh MM guy and he told me i had to get the FWA and the quadrant as the ones i have will not fit this application. this is not the ford OEM one directly, but one that he gets that is comparable. i was a little disapointed in having to buy the whole set, for another 50 dollars but i guess i had no choice :(

dont go with a oem cable bro , i did i got an all new king cobra clutch so i got a new oem cable, now my cable is already streched! its hard to gett into gear now, when i was under the car the cable is HELLA loose, trust me! its a non adjustable ,it had a really nice right grip, i say maybe 150miles and its gonne! i have to change it this weekend!

dont go with a oem cable bro , i did i got an all new king cobra clutch so i got a new oem cable, now my cable is already streched! its hard to gett into gear now, when i was under the car the cable is HELLA loose, trust me! its a non adjustable ,it had a really nice right grip, i say maybe 150miles and its gonne! i have to change it this weekend!

Hold up. Did you buy an "OEM-fit" or "OEM replacement" cable? ... or an actual GENUINE FORD clutch cable? I hate to sound like some kinda advertisement, but this is honestly one of those rare situations where the name-brand product IS 100% better than the knockoffs. As stated, I did the OEM-replacement cable from Autozone in the past, and it crapped out in me in a jiffy; the actual Ford cable purchased from Maximum Motorsports (available elsewhere, too) is WAY different in quality and operational effectiveness.

Also, are you utilizing a firewall adjuster and aluminum quadrant with your setup, or are you still using the stock self-adjusting quadrant? If the stock plastic quad is getting brittle and the teeth are either breaking off or getting rounded off, that could be resulting in the cable slack you're experiencing; if you have a firewall adjuster, you will periodically have to readjust it to take up slack at times, although it shouldn't be anything dramatic. I've had to adjust mine only once since I put it on and found my preferred "sweet spot" a year and a half ago. :nice:

i bought the cable that was highlighted in the previous post. i ended up getting the fwa na dquadrant that the MM guy said to get. he said they have researched cables and this is the best possible combo to go with as opposed to piecing it all together. sounds right,m but what is he going to say? this blows... but buy it anyway. the cable i bought last year I believe wsa the jegs version with adjustable and quadrant included, or summitt. my mechanic said that it got too hot from the headers. ill have him put this one in and see how she is. he is going to wrap that or the headers with some heat shield as well. thanks for replies. just a little upset becasue i wasnt expecting to pay that much for it. BTW- he said the OEM cable was 140 dollars and this set up is cheaper and better.

The OEM cable is only $140 if you either buy it from Ford directly, or buy the Mustang-specific cable from them or any other place; the "universal" Ford cable sold through Maximum Motorsports (and others) is actually almost EXACTLY the same darned cable, except you have to transfer the little metal bracket (that holds it away from the headers) from your old cable onto the new one, pull off that big fat rubber grommet that would go against the firewall and then cut or file off those four little plastic tabs so it'll poke into your firewall adjuster (takes like 15 minutes for all that). Do that, and ta-daaaa! You've got yourself a perfectly good $140 cable for only around $75 shipped. :nice: