check engine code P1443 HELP

68GEETEE

5 Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
Texas, USA
what does that code mean on a 96 GT? Yesterday I changed the intake manifold because the old one had a crack in it and the engine had a miss in #3 cylinder. This morning I put new plugs and wires, the miss is gone and she runs great. But after a few minutes the check engine light came on. It doesnt blink, just stay lit. Autozone scanned it and said this code comes up, P1443, but they couldnt tell me what it means, I need help quick.

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

I have a book that tells all the codes, And i looked that one up. It says Idle Air Control(IAC) Valve Speed Fault. This is what the book says on where it is located. The IAC valve for the 4.6 SOHC engine is mounted on the side of the throttle body adapter. You should deffenetly get your self a book. It really helps.

68GEETEE said:
it has something to do with a purge valve, does anyone know what it looks like or where i would find it on the engine???

If you're looking directly at the engine from the front of the car, it'll be located left of the throttle body close to the wall of the engine compartment. I would replace the purge valve sensor first, and if that doesn't turn the light off then you can replace the purge valve. I had the same problem on mine, but the light went off when I replaced the sensor.

thanks for the reply. I found the hose from the canister to the valve was squashed between the fuel lines, a result of my mechanic installing a new intake manifold yesterday and crushing the line when he reconnected the fuel lines. I rerouted the hose, light is off for now.