Check Engine Light - Other little issues...

Nagash01WS6

Apr 15, 2003
Deland, FL
Comes on after a few minutes of driving. Came on after I mis-shifted because of the POS ricey shifter knob the guy had on it. Shoved it in between 1 and 3 and hit the gas. DOH. Check Engine light came on soon afterwards. It isnt on at startup. Whats the deal???? I thought they would normally stay on if it threw a code. I didnt hear any ticking like a bent pushrod / valve.

Also... when I turn the cruise control on no light comes on. Whats up with that???

BTW its a 95 Stang and I just bought it, so please excuse my newbness on the subjects.

• Sponsors (?)

DO you have a CSK nearby? You can rent a code scanner form them that will run some tests. First thing's first as with any new car, do a major tune up before troubleshooting. You should be able to get that done for less than $300 for all the parts. I know it sounds like alot, but it has to be done. That should include the replacement of your O2's, ECT and ACT sensors, spark plugs, wires and I would replace the coil. I have a huge list of things for you to check if you want me to post it.

Anyway, since it costs nothing, I think you should clean your MAF sensor. The check your timing. Make sure it's at 10° and that the cap & rotor are in good shape. Broken valvetrain components won't necessarily cuase any codes.

The neon shifter knob should be a dead giveaway to a car that probably hasn't been very well maintained. :nonono:

Oh, one more thing, I don't think we have a cruise contorl light. I don't at least.

Yeah the code should be stored in the memory (even through the light isn't on) as long as you keep your battery hooked up. (I think) I'm not sure if the typical code reader will look into that though. Some really really expensive ones will if you can somehow get your hands on one or take it to a mechanic who has one (last resort).

Nagash01WS6 said:
Comes on after a few minutes of driving. Came on after I mis-shifted because of the POS ricey shifter knob the guy had on it. Shoved it in between 1 and 3 and hit the gas. DOH. Check Engine light came on soon afterwards. It isnt on at startup. Whats the deal???? I thought they would normally stay on if it threw a code. I didnt hear any ticking like a bent pushrod / valve.

Also... when I turn the cruise control on no light comes on. Whats up with that???

BTW its a 95 Stang and I just bought it, so please excuse my newbness on the subjects.
we dont have a cruise control light....i had a CEL come on after a few mins of driving one night turned out to be an electrical connection that wasnt plugged in....you should give the engine bay a once over for anything like that...or get the codes scanned

Anthony