Checking Timing Chain

DuderMcMerican

Mar 7, 2016
Woodbridge, VA
Howdy,

I want to check my timing chain because i have no idea if/when the POs changed it. Came across this website where duder writes about easy way to check timing chain slack:

http://www.misterfixit.com/chanslop.htm

Here is what i'm confused about (assuming this method is legit)..

He says:
"Pull the distributor cap and observe the rotor position. Take a breaker bar and a appropriate socket and put it on the crankshaft damper pulley."

Where is the bolt on the on the crankshaft damper pulley he is referring to? Is it necessary to remove the fan to get to it?

He goes on:

"... Slowly turn the crankshaft pulley in a clockwise direction. Watch the distributor and observe that the rotor is moving. Stop turning. Now - mark the damper pulley position with the chalk or observe the degree wheel. Very carefully turn the crankshaft in the other direction and VERY carefully observe the rotor in the distributor. The instant it begins to move STOP turning and mark the crankshaft position again. Measure the number of degrees of rotation of the crankshaft."

I was able to turn the pully with my hands (with some difficulty), and i turned it pretty far, but i did not observe any movement of the rotor. Does this mean anything?

Besides this method, are there other nifty ways to check the condition of the timing chain without having to take everything apart?

Or is this something that i should just assume needs changed and go ahead with buying the part and changing it?

Thanks!:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you have 200+k miles on the car, I wouldn't worry about it.

Is there anything making you suspect the chain is stretch or just being proactive?

Usually a chain rrplsvement is done "because you already have it apart for other reasons"

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Unless you have 200+k miles on the car, I wouldn't worry about it.

Is there anything making you suspect the chain is stretch or just being proactive?

Usually a chain rrplsvement is done "because you already have it apart for other reasons"

Well, the car has been running like crap for some time now. Occasionally it runs well, but it usually backfires and shudders and/or dies while driving. I have pretty much gone through every electrical troubleshooting checklist I could find, but didn't get results. Now I'm wondering if it could be timing chain and/or gear or maybe something else mechanical? :shrug: I should also note that i have good vacuum and compression. The engine has 160k+ miles.

I suppose I should try resetting timing and see if that helps and/or if it gets all jacked up after subsequent driving? I was gonna try this but I think my brand new timing light might be defective or something because it doesn't light up when connected to power and trigger squeezed. It does make a soft high pitch whirring sound, but no light. Does that mean it's broken, or does it have to actually be hooked up to a plug wire for the light to light up?

BTW, thanks for the reply!

Yes, you hook the timing light up to the #1 spark plug with the clamp, and pull out the spout connector.

If your timing jumps around with spout pulled out, then I'd think about replacing the chain, but if it's solid and doesn't jump, you are fine

Have you run the engine codes? These cars don't display a check engine light with every code. Only the major ones. 13 or so out of 100

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you hook the timing light up to the #1 spark plug with the clamp, and pull out the spout connector.

If your timing jumps around with spout pulled out, then I'd think about replacing the chain, but if it's solid and doesn't jump, you are fine

Have you run the engine codes? These cars don't display a check engine light with every code. Only the major ones. 13 or so out of 100

Yeah, i tried last night but the light still wouldnt light up. I guess i have a defective unit.

Edit: I did pull codes and did cylinder balance test, but im getting no trouble codes, which makes me think mechanical problem. Was gettin couple of codes before--MAP & O2 sensor--but took care of those issues.