Cherry red exhaust is normal and good

manicmechanic007

5 Year Member
Sep 26, 2017
Roy, Utah
This Factory Photo 427 side oiler SOHC 616 HP with single 4BBL 12.0:1 Cherry red exhaust on the dyno
427 SOHC.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok, I'm, as most here know, not a real mechanic but I've watched a LOT of dyno pulls mostly on the Motortrend channel and I say the glowing header thing is based on running an engine at WOT for an extended period, I think if the headers are glowing the exhaust temp is in the area where it would burn valves and spit head gaskets and crack pistons amongst other things that are not supposed to get red hot.
I have never heard a statement where glowing red headers are normal or good.
The pic is one thing but shows no proof of normal operating parameter, please explain.

I had to pass smog with a 72 Chevy that wouldn't pass, so I advanced timming and headers glowed red but it passed.

No explanation necessary
You want them to de tune that 427 so it won't glow cherry red?
It's the 12 to ones that do it
Turbo applications all glow cherry red when ran real hard
I owned a 88 Turbo Coupe and drove hundreds of SVO's
They all glow cherry red too
Yes normal and good
Maybe you guys are just not running yours hard enough if you have never seen glowing exhaust
Fox bodies with computers and rev limiters you will not see it much
Jump in a new ecoboost truck and drive it up the mountain to a ski resort and you will see the red stuff all over

I'd glow cherry red at 20k toolll
I'm not say'n it ain't gonna happen, and no, I've never done it myself, what I'm eluding to is at that point you are at the limit, either time or material, run it continually at that point and you will limit the life of the engine and/or waste perfectly good parts.
Now with computer controls and advances in metal science engines today can withstand higher temps but keep driving that turbo at the limit and I think you will cut engine life 30-40% or more depending.
Glowing headers in a everyday street car = bad
Glowing headers on a dyno looking for that last couple ponies = yeah,ok
So I'm kinda agreeing with you but not really,
DISCLAIMER: this is an opinion and not based on any real mechanical experience, do not take internally, and do not induce vomiting.

If your headers are glowing in the vehicle without having just driven the heck out of it, timing is either significantly retarded or advanced, or the air/fuel mix is off.
This is based on actual experiences and knowledge.
Cool picture of the 427.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user