Chirpy sound left front wheel - Wheel Bearing or Wheel hub?

Hey Gents,

My friends heard the chirping sound as we were driving and one said it was the bearing, the other said its the hub.

What's the difference between the wheel bearing and the wheel hub? Sorry if its a stupid question.

whatever it is, I know I need to replace it. The local ford dealer quoted me $190 in parts, $250 in labor. and my local mechanic quoted me $260 for eveything. I consider myself and novice backyard mechanic. I've done brakes and suspension before (i'm still here to talk about it lol)

Is this something I can handle? If so can you help me compile a parts list I need for the job?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Rob

• Sponsors (?)

I'd bet that it's more likely to be a brake issue. Wheel bearing issues tend to be more of a constant sound, like a grinding, or rumbling sound. Brakes tend to squeak in cases like this, if the rotor has a slight warp to it. The brake pad passes over a high spot repeatedly, causing it to glaze and squeak with each revolution.

Another vote for a brake issue. If you lightly press the brake pedal while it's making the noise, does the noise go away? If you get the front in the air, you'll know pretty quick. Spin the wheel and listen for the noise. Check the caliper for the ability to easily slide on its pins. Check rotor run-out.

And yeah, it sounds like you should be able to take care of it yourself.