Chrome Bumpers?

missmySTOOK

Jun 30, 2004
I am current owner of a '02 WRX and previous owner of a '89 GT, '93 Notch LX. I am tired of 4 bangers and want to get back to V8 fun. I tired of new cars being made of plastic bumpers, a new car with a scuff from a person pulling out of a parking spot doesn't look nice on a new car.

I love the '05 Stangs and would like to purchase one when they come out, but I would like to go all the way with the retro look and covert the bumpers to chrome bumpers. I don't care about weight, only looks. And I believe that would make the car look mean; plus I wouldn't have to care about parking anywhere.

Later!
Lenny

missmySTOOK (means miss my S2000); traded in for a WRX.

• Sponsors (?)

missmySTOOK said:
I love the '05 Stangs and would like to purchase one when they come out, but I would like to go all the way with the retro look and covert the bumpers to chrome bumpers. I don't care about weight, only looks. And I believe that would make the car look mean; plus I wouldn't have to care about parking anywhere.

I agree, I think a chrome bumper would be sweet as well, both aesthetically and functionality wise. But, you won't be simply poppin' off the plastic one and dipping it in chrome. You have three options, two you can definately do; the other will be a wait and see.

1) The cheapest option: I forget what they call this painting process, but I have seen stuff sprayed on plastic bumpers that looks similar to chrome, damn near identical. The bad part is that it cracks easy when subjected to impact.

2) The most expensive option: You can have someone custom fabricate a bumper.

3) I do advertising work for an aftermarket parts company and I have become privy to many things they intend on building for the new mustang. Most of which I have shared on this board. Based on surveys they took, they found an overwhelmingly favorable response to chrome accents on the exterior of the Stang, including bumper packages. They are currently working on not a replacement bumper, but a chrome sleeve that covers the top surface and the first 5 inches or so of the front bumper. The entire front facia chromed is way too much. No guarantee that they will go into production, but I have see raw prototypes made of aluminum that they have been working on. They are fitting them to the current mustang bumper to figure out logistics and feasability of production. They don't have a 05 to make a real one. The name of this company is Fast Forward so keep an eye on them for this type of product.

When the 05 comes out and Fast Forward commits to some products, I will dump all the available information on this board.