Chroming my Pony Rims?

nyyankee

Jun 8, 2003
New York
My neighbor just opened a body shop. He said he bought a chroming machine and he has to send his son to Ohio or something to learn how to use it. He also said he would do my pony rims. This is not dipping it's plating. Is this system good. Should I worry about chips or some sort of drips. Especially that they are just learning the machine. Or is this something that if you learn it one time it's not hard to mess up. I'm sure I will get them done for almost nothing but I don't want to buy another set of rims either. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

it you live in a costal area or have harsh winters the chrome will fall off, and look like crap, especilly if they put your stuff through on day one, i took care of my chrome ponies like they were a small child, and they too betrayed me

Chrome plating is done by prepping the rim and placing a negative charge on it and then plating it in nickel by dipping in positively charged nickel-sulfate (i think) solution. The different polarities cause the nickel to deposit itself on the item to be plated. Then the same process is done with a chromium oxide solution (i think) to chrome it. Now my polarities and solutions could be wrong and probably are, but that is the jist of it. Hey if he wants a set of ponies to practice on I am game.