Clacking Noise from Driver Side Under Valve Cover

I'm still at this. I've been driving around - no miss, no overheating - does feel a bit underpowered at times but I think that may be because of spark plug wires or coils or both. I put eight new plugs in gapped correctly. I'm going to try for a different set of coil packs first, then possibly wires. But I AM going to tackle the driver side valve cover - wish me luck gentlemen. What exactly should I look out for or look to inspect? I'm not going to attempt to run the car without the valve cover (too messy right?) so need to know what to look for with the cover and the car off.
you can run without the valve cover but keep it at or near idle, revving increases oil delivery and that can get messy quick
basically you will be looking for something that looks or feels different or unusual ... pop that cover and use good judgment, wiggle stuff and along with eyeball and ears you'll get there
good luck and keep at it

• Sponsors (?)

Took the driver side valve cover off, first try. No major hurdles, gasket was a pain to get back on since it was factory, but got that on also. Noticed immediately a piece of plastic sitting on there, apparantly the plastic piece of the intake broke off. It's pictured here, circled. The epoxy welds on the plastic piece look like they broke. Bouncing around making terrible noise.

Looking at the cam and valves, etc, everything looked great. Springs looked good and tight, everything tight, nothing carbon filled or dirty. Actually looked quite clean and the oil looked good. Ran it for 30 seconds with low rpm idle, only a miniscule amount of oil rolled out. What exactly is this plastic section built into the driver side valve cover? Can I run the car without it for now (car seems fine without it)? And will it affect performance? It sits right below the intake tube hole btw.

My piece is black and cheap plastic unlike the one in the picture. Should I bother trying to re epoxy the piece, get a new valve cover, or just let it go and drive it as is for now?

Attachments

• s-l16002.jpg
    s-l16002.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: 1 user
valve trains ... hell the whole engine, builds up some internal gases and this is the pressure vent for them on that bank ... you really should look to repair or replace as that is the correct fix. 5.0 engines are very common and the salvage yard can be a great place to find one in good nick and won't cost much more than the new valve cover gaskets that I know you are getting ready to purchase and install to prevent seepage.
salvage yards (just like people) vary in size and scope ... shop around and find one that values the customer
GOOD JOB!!

you haven't lost any ground thus far ... budgets are always a concern, include it in yours. check with a salvage yard you might be pleasantly surprised at the cost
in the past I've used them with great success to keep my vehicle on the road and kept my wits and bucks
I'd think real hard about changing the oil and filter in case some small plastic bits might be floating about ...

Last edited:
From what I could tell I didn't see any plastic. It looked like a straight plastic break, clean break from epoxy. Wouldn't plastic get dissolved in the valves?

Anyways I'll look for a driver side valve cover. Thanks!

Chiltons library has hosted service manuals. These are oem full manuals.
Links are up and down guess copyright laws against sharing for free
Many tricks are found to get in free
Try this ,, link.

Click around e resources. Than that leads to chiltons section
It will ask for your library card number.

Any 14 digit number should open it.
Than bookmark it. When selection page opens

anything foreign isn't good, internal tolerances are very small or tight & measured in thousands of an inch ... I'm old and worry about things like that

I started laughing at my "I'm old" comment thinking about my Dad, who would have told me to run fresh oil and filter with Rislone engine treatment for 50miles or so than drain and fresh oil and filter again ... times change

Last edited: