Classic Car Title

mackey

Jan 25, 2003
Beverly, Massachusetts
Hello.
I have a 69 Mustang Mach1 I would like to restore the only issue is my dad bought the car back in 1987 and does not have the original title. Is there anyway I could possibly trace the VIN back to the original owner or would I be able to get a new title under our name. The car is pretty smashed up and needs lots of work but I'd really like to get it on the road.

The car hasn't been on the road since '87 but the VIN from the Massachsuetts RMV says clear.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Can I get a lost title or mechanics title even if the title is not in my or my fathers name? The title was never transfered, only a bill of sale (back in 1987). I still have the bill of sale from 87.

Also the car was bought from a salvage yard in 87. They may or may never have had possession of the title. I wasn't around when he bought the car and the yard is no longer there.

Would I be able to get the lost or mechanics title. The car is listed as clear from the Mass RMV site so I know it doesn't have any issues. I'm not sure if the original owner destroyed the title or got rid of it when the car was in the front end accident.

you should be good as long as the car was never retitiled as totalled by the insurance company... with just a salvage title the car is rebuildable...which should be what the car has, most junkyards wont take a car unless you sign the title over to them, but contact your local DMV and ask them