Clean battery install... need ideas.

i always asked me about that 2 solenoides ... yesterday i have seen this post about the one solenoide solution and I m doing it right now ... i have all the stuff here.. so i started this morning ... almost done ...

Attachments

• 20190324_093245.jpg
    20190324_093245.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

i always asked me about that 2 solenoides ... yesterday i have seen this post about the one solenoide solution and I m doing it right now ... i have all the stuff here.. so i started this morning ... almost done ...

Let me know if it starts, before I continue with mine! Lol

I am fairly sure my 79 four eye had the battery on the passenger front rail, a washer/coolant tank on the driver’s side, and room for the 83ish GT dual snorkel hoses on each side. It is still not much better for weight, but shorter cables do tend to have less voltage drop.

So do you use an AGM battery when moving it to the rear? Even with a box, acid on the loose in a hatch concerns me.

The cleanest battery install is the one that isn't under the hood. The thing weighs 50+ pounds, it's on the same side the driver is on, and all of that extra weight is in front of the strut tower,making the car even heavier in the nose and on the left side..How many more reasons do you need to move the thing to the rear?.

I am fairly sure my 79 four eye had the battery on the passenger front rail, a washer/coolant tank on the driver’s side, and room for the 83ish GT dual snorkel hoses on each side. It is still not much better for weight, but shorter cables do tend to have less voltage drop.

So do you use an AGM battery when moving it to the rear? Even with a box, acid on the loose in a hatch concerns me.
If you put a standard wet cell battery in your trunk, its gonna have to go in one of those plastic boxes, and have a vent running through the floor I'd imagine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Yep, sealed off and make sure it is vented to the outside.you do not want to be singing purple Haze from battery acid. Some other stuff I can think of are an internally insulated box, external shut off key switch, and thick cables that are safely run for no chafing. It is not worth it to me for street use, but maybe it would be for show and race. Especially in my Corvair.
If you put a standard wet cell battery in your trunk, its gonna have to go in one of those plastic boxes, and have a vent running through the floor I'd imagine.

Meh,...there are a lot more street cars with the battery in the trunk than what you'd think.

All I know is that I didn't relocate my battery to the trunk for better weight distribution, ( although it didn't hurt). I did it because the freakin thing takes up a huge amount of space under the hood, and the wiring associated with it is a mess. Nobody here goes through an engine bay smooth, or apron replacement, then turn around and cover it all back up with a big assed battery that leaks acid all over that pretty new body work.

You can put a battery in the trunk with nothing more than a hold down if you get an Odessy or Optima. If you put a regular Ford starter solenoid at the rear, you're not running all of that current through those cables all the time, only when starting.

If you put a regular Ford starter solenoid at the rear, you're not running all of that current through those cables all the time, only when starting.
That's what I've been trying to remember!!! I had my battery in the hatch inside a Moroso battery box. I bought new welding lead and had ends crimped on for some very nice cables. The only problem is I never had any luck keeping the battery charged properly with it back there. I put it back up front and no more issues. My buddy that owned a Mustang shop in Florida back then did the starter solenoid in the rear thing and said that was the best way to do it. Wonder if that would have helped in charging?

That's what I've been trying to remember!!! I had my battery in the hatch inside a Moroso battery box. I bought new welding lead and had ends crimped on for some very nice cables. The only problem is I never had any luck keeping the battery charged properly with it back there. I put it back up front and no more issues. My buddy that owned a Mustang shop in Florida back then did the starter solenoid in the rear thing and said that was the best way to do it. Wonder if that would have helped in charging?
It wouldn't have ever charged. The solenoid would have effectively disconnected the charge path. Most rear mount batteries need an additional cable ran from the alternator directly to the battery for that purpose.

It wouldn't have ever charged. The solenoid would have effectively disconnected the charge path. Most rear mount batteries need an additional cable ran from the alternator directly to the battery for that purpose.
I never had the solenoid on mine. Harry had his battery in the back with the solenoid and maybe the extra cable from the alternator. I know he never had charging trouble with his.

I always liked this car. 1986 GT that a guy did a nice job on. I like the hatch area. Just an idea of a way to place the battery.
mustanghatch.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users