Clean engine bays

Aaron

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Eventually I plan on cleaning up the wires in my engine bay. I was reminded on how much still want to do this while checking out various Mustangs on ebay. It reminded me how I continue to be amazed on how someone can turn an engine bay from this (no - this is not my car):

View attachment 477574

to this:

engine.jpg

Granted, Mansonozz has put a TON of work into his car, but it's definately something I hope to be able to accomplish eventually. What a transformation!

So who's got the cleanest looking engine bay anyway?

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Sponsors (?)

Wow, thanks for putting my pic up and the words! Always great to see it just sitting there being said :)

It's really much easier than you'd think. Just take it a step at a time. Or do it all at once like some others!

Mine is no where near that clean, but it has come a long way. Did a lot of sandblasting, wire-wheeling, polishing and painting for a show last September...
From this:
2114721_15_full.jpg

To this:
2114721_2_full.jpg

And this:
engine2.jpg

To this:
engine1.jpg

mansonozz said:
Wow, thanks for putting my pic up and the words! Always great to see it just sitting there being said :)

It's really much easier than you'd think. Just take it a step at a time. Or do it all at once like some others!

Sure - no problem - your car was the 1st one I thought of when I put my thoughts together!

Anyway - I'll be using your instructions at some point this summer...

Reed said:
Mine is no where near that clean, but it has come a long way. Did a lot of sandblasting, wire-wheeling, polishing and painting for a show last September...

Hey - no shame in that bay at all! - it looks nice! I think that if I can get my bay to your condition, plus start hiding wires, I'll be set for now.

bluevenom867 said:
I have a very clean engine bay,so clean in fact you cant see the engine (cause its not there)!

:D

What the prefered method for filling the holes in the fenders?

I had that same engine twice... you know the one that was so clean you couldn't see it because it was there.:rlaugh:

Weld, grind down the welds, body filler, sand, prime, sand,, evercoat, sand, tack clean, paint.

this is one of my new projects. I have this nasty caked on grime thats like undercoating going on under the hood. I have been using Simple Green like its going out of style. I think I need something stronger though. this stuff barely gives way even if I scratch at it with a screwdriver or whatever. I'm trying a steam cleaning next. I plan on painting the compartment when all the grime is finally gone and was wondering if anyone had any tips on the best way to go about it. I am not pulling the engine so I'll have to paint around everything. I like the foil idea I read in another thread and think I may try that unless someone has a better suggestion. I am hoping to try to get a color as close to my exterior as possible which is red. here are a few quick pics I snapped of what I was starting with:

View attachment 477462 View attachment 477464

can you see the dark dirt spots? I have gotten it cleaner than it is here but I still have a long way to go. I'll get a new pic in the morning if its not raining. anyone have any tips?

ALMOST STOCK said:
Reed
Nice work man, be proud of what you've done:nice: :nice:.

Thank you! It's nowhere as clean as some of your guys' engines, but I think it looks alright! Eventually when I pull the engine, I'll get it done right like you guys have.

As for the grime? GUNK! Brand engine cleaner and a toothbrush maybe? Let it sit for a bit, and make sure your airbox and electronics are wrapped up tight so you don't get 'em wet.