Cleaned engine block with scotch bright 4.6 2V

shipracer

Feb 21, 2019
socal
Hey Guys, First post, though Ive used your forum for quite a bit of knowledge and help. Ive got a 2005 Police interceptor 4.6 2V with a Vortech V3, 8PSI boost.

I just blew the head gasket, so Ive been slowly over time removed the heads (back from the machine shop), all new cometic head gaskets, ARP studs etc.. (I have a full parts list I can link)...

However I did two 10-15 minute cleans on both sides of the short block with scotch bright maroon pads. I can see the fibers/hairs around, I dont know what I can see. Ive been cleaning by blowing out with a air can, WD-40 and white lint free rags. but Im starting to get worried about all these scotch bright engine killer posts.

can I just pour a bunch of new oil in before starting the engine, drain it all out, fill up again, run for a few minutes? or miles?
Then Flush fully again and refill? and/or thoughts?

Any one thats been through this? is it took late for me?

Thanks in advance, appreciate anyones time and replies.

• Sponsors (?)

I have heard of people draining 30-35% of their oil and then topping it off with kerosene or diesel fuel. Then running their engines for about 10 minutes and draining the mixture. They also make engine flushes that can be added to the oil. If you use any of these be sure and change your oil filter also. After several hundred miles I would change my oil filter again.

Thanks, reddit chemistry said to possibly try:

If there’s just particles in your engine you should be able to flush them out with sufficient volume of flushing agent and sufficient agitation to suspend the particles.

Warning: the following is only a suggestion based on zero experience with this! You have been warned.

I would flush the engine with water, followed by sufficient anhydrous or 91% isopropyl alcohol to remove the water, followed by kerosene or gasoline. Alternatively you could pass compressed air through the engine until the alcohol or water has dried.

I talked to https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/scotch-brite-ruining-my-engine.899721/ and he literally cleaned it just as long and like me, and it destroyed his engine, he flushed with gallons of kerosene.

Just wondering. Are the parts are off of the car?

Given the amount of time and expense of a project such as this takes I would consider paying a machine shop to hot tank the parts.

When I did a rebuild of a GM 3.5 I was totally blown away with just how good the block and heads came back from hot tanking. As this was my first ground up rebuild I wasn't sure what to expect. Some of the parts were so clean they looked brand new. The hot tank cleaned nooks and crannies that no amount of hand cleaning could have hoped to reach.

GM V6 3.5 VIN "N" RPO LZ4

Last edited:
I ended up going all out, I took the short block to CHP engines, had the hot tank it (2 hot tanks), and upgrade pistons/rings etc.. to handle 16psi boost in the future.

Slowly little things coming up, and monie coming in slowly as well :) I should be driving it next month.

Reactions: 1 user